[Request] Ability to set name & password...

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
mrwilby

[Request] Ability to set name & password...

Post by mrwilby » 15 Apr 2014, 20:57

... when adding an NZB manually.

I manually download NZBs fairly frequently and it would be helpful (a time saver) if I could specify both the name & password in the "Add NZB-Files to Download Queue" modal dialog (when adding a local file) - something akin to how sab handles this.

The challenge is that the current approach lets one upload multiple files in one go - which is nice - but that model doesn't naturally fit well with the paradigm of providing name & password, so not exactly sure what the UI experience would need to morph into to support this request...?

Otherwise, it's clearly already possible to set the name & password retrospectively after the entry has already been queued - it just takes a bit of hunt and pecking through the various screens.

mrwilby

Re: [Request] Ability to set name & password...

Post by mrwilby » 20 Jun 2014, 23:21

Bump. Is there a better way I could achieve the same end result?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 21 Jun 2014, 23:21

No solution yet but I've put this into TODO-list.
Any ideas how to do that best UI wise?

TRaSH

Post by TRaSH » 22 Jun 2014, 08:42

well the way SB does is isn't a bad way
In the NZB file name you can embed the password like this: "My Job {{PW}}.nzb" or "My Job password=PW.nzb"
This will set the the job name to "My Job" and the password to "PW".
and the My Job will be used for the name.
also makes it easier for people that decided to switch over to NZBGet

prinz2311

Post by prinz2311 » 22 Jun 2014, 11:47

TRaSH wrote:well the way SB does is isn't a bad way
In the NZB file name you can embed the password like this: "My Job {{PW}}.nzb" or "My Job password=PW.nzb"
This will set the the job name to "My Job" and the password to "PW".
I my opinion this a a bad way, especially since the nzb specs specify that the password can be included in the nzb data itself. This has none of the downsides of adding the password to the filename, like special chars, length, different codepages, losing password because of renaming, ...

I use this always since nzbget is one of the very few nzb clients that support this meta tag inside the nzb.

salami

Post by salami » 25 Jun 2014, 11:53

Although you are completely right about all the downsides, renaming the file is easier than editing it. Some sources also offer NZBs with the password already supplied in the name as {{PW}}, so I think both should be supported. There is a neat script available here that does the name-to-password thing.

prinz2311

Post by prinz2311 » 25 Jun 2014, 12:02

I have made a small C# program for me, that I can call from commandline via a Dir Opus Button. This automatically adds the password from the {{}} tags as a header in the nzb file and removes the tags from the filename, or if no tags are in the Filename it displays a Textfield (as a always on top windows) were I just have to enter or paste the password in and press enter.

So not much more complicated for me... ;)