[New Feature] Force (override pause)

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
hugbug
Developer & Admin

[New Feature] Force (override pause)

Post by hugbug » 18 Apr 2014, 19:03

Not yet implemented. Need your hints on this.

Two possibilities:
  1. "Force" is an additional priority, which can be chosen from priority combo box. "Force" has the highest priority;
  2. A separate property of download (as check box). If the program is not paused the "force" property doesn't affect the order how nzbs are downloaded; they are downloaded according to their priorities. If the program is paused only downloads with enabled "force" are downloaded; again according to their priorities;
What is better?

Side note: currently priority is just an integer number which can have any values. Although in web-interface only five priorities are offered, any other values can be set (via scripts, etc.). To implement "force" as priority I would need to define some magic value for force, for example 1000 or 100000000 or 123456789. I don't like the idea and therefore prefer the second option with separate "force" property but you know better what is better for you. Tell me.

prinz2311

Re: [New Feature] Force (override pause)

Post by prinz2311 » 18 Apr 2014, 19:49

I would say the second option, adding an additional parameter (forced) for append/appendurl is better for 3rd party development. For example: the current priorities in the 3rd party app could still be used (to keep compatibility with older nzbget versions), just an additional option has be added if the developer wants to support the new force option.

With the option 1 it could break current/old 3rd party apps if they use non-standard priority values. Also with this option if you want to use multiple priorities (with forced) you have to redefine the priorities and to support both old and new nzbget versions would be more complicated, since you need to define different priorities depending on the returned version() from the api call.

So from a 3rd party developer point I would say: Option 2 is definitely much better.

I personally can't think of an argument to use Option 1 for any reason.

TRaSH

Post by TRaSH » 19 Apr 2014, 07:18

would like this option,
sabnzbd has also a override option.
i use it when using shedules,
got a low powered microserver and i don't want it running unrar/par2 stuff when watching a movie.
but sometimes when i want a quick download for something small i use the override mode and it process that file and keeps the others paused

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 20 Apr 2014, 21:37

After spending few hours implementing a new separate property "force" for download (and not yet implementing the actual functionality) I think it was not such a good idea :?

A lot of code were affected by the change including:
  • new property of download;
  • new field "Force" in methods "listgroups" and "history";
  • new edit actions of method "editqueue" to change the property;
  • new parameter "force" in methods "append" and "appendurl";
  • new option "FeedX.Force" in addition to "FeedX.Priority";
  • new parameter "force" in methods "viewfeed" and "previewfeed";
  • new field "Force" in result of methods "viewfeed" and "previewfeed";
  • new options for RSS-command "Options(force:yes)";
  • etc.
After implementing all of this I've added the new checkbox to the download details dialog and…. didn't like it :)

This all seems to be way to much efforts for such a rarely used feature (as I think about it).

I think I better go the "option 1"-way - additional priority. I'll define new priority value "999". I don't see how this can break compatibility with other software. Any third-party tool can add support for new force priority 999 without even checking for NZBGet version. Older NZBGet versions will show "priority: 999" and will work OK with it.

And BTW I doubt anyone use non-standard priorities (which are -100, -50, 0, 50, 100).

yeehaa

Post by yeehaa » 21 Apr 2014, 12:48

hugbug wrote:After spending few hours implementing a new separate property "force" for download (and not yet implementing the actual functionality) I think it was not such a good idea :?

A lot of code were affected by the change including:
  • new property of download;
  • new field "Force" in methods "listgroups" and "history";
  • new edit actions of method "editqueue" to change the property;
  • new parameter "force" in methods "append" and "appendurl";
  • new option "FeedX.Force" in addition to "FeedX.Priority";
  • new parameter "force" in methods "viewfeed" and "previewfeed";
  • new field "Force" in result of methods "viewfeed" and "previewfeed";
  • new options for RSS-command "Options(force:yes)";
  • etc.
After implementing all of this I've added the new checkbox to the download details dialog and…. didn't like it :)

This all seems to be way to much efforts for such a rarely used feature (as I think about it).

I think I better go the "option 1"-way - additional priority. I'll define new priority value "999". I don't see how this can break compatibility with other software. Any third-party tool can add support for new force priority 999 without even checking for NZBGet version. Older NZBGet versions will show "priority: 999" and will work OK with it.

And BTW I doubt anyone use non-standard priorities (which are -100, -50, 0, 50, 100).
sorry if i didnt understand your first post. so what happens when there are multiple nzbs with priority 999? do they all download in the order they came into the queue? in my case i can work with any of the 2 options you listed above. because for me when i want to use "force" i will be baby sitting the download as i need the file "right away". so i can always move around things in the queue and leave. i'm sure someone else is going to come here and request a priority within force!

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 22 Apr 2014, 20:28

The feature is implemented in r1000:
added force-priorities:
  • downloads with priorities equal to or greater than 900 are downloaded and post-processed even if the program is in paused state (force mode);
  • in web-interface the combo for choosing priority has new entry "force" (priority value 900);
  • new fields "ForcedSizeLo", "ForcedSizeHi" and "ForcedSizeMB" returned by RPC-method "status".

prinz2311

Post by prinz2311 » 27 Apr 2014, 01:13

Bugs

WebIf:
Forced Downloads that rename/unpack/pp have a orange color status, when nzbget is paused. And there is no unpack/pp badge (with unpack/pp info) during unpack/pp.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 27 Apr 2014, 12:06

Fixed in r1008.