[New Feature] Quick par verification

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: [New Feature] Quick par verification

Post by hugbug » 25 Sep 2014, 15:07

If CrcCheck is active NZBGet compares the actual CRC computed during download with CRC stored in the article and reports an error if they don't match. The file is then marked as bad and the quick verification wouldn't say "OK".

It must be NZBGet bug or a hardware bug (which is rather unlikely in my opinion). What I'm interested in is to know how badly the files are damaged. If you have this again or if you still have the files please do a copy and then after repair (or redownload) compare the damaged and correct rar-file(s) using a bin compare utility.

I guess I need to implement the mentioned workaround anyway for those who have CrcCheck disabled.

prinz2311

Post by prinz2311 » 25 Sep 2014, 17:10

I still had such a download. I compared the files: 2 files were different (had to be repaired), 1 File had 48 bytes different, the other file had 71 bytes different. Both somewhere in the middle of the file.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 27 Sep 2014, 22:32

Few small changes:
  • cleanup is now not performed if unpack has failed, even if par-check was successful; that allows to repair using "post process again" with ParQuick turned off;
  • if CrcCheck is active the calculated CRC is used for par verification, instead of expected CRC (which is read from article); although it should not change anything because both CRCs have to be equal or the article is marked as bad anyway.
At the moment I see only two possible causes for the problem:
  • bug in NZBGet, a writing into wrong memory address causing corruption of the buffer containing downloaded data, before it is written into disk;
  • hardware error - memory or disk.
If you have the problem again please report and also make a copy of damaged files and compare with correct files after repair or redownload to find out how badly the files were damaged. Thanks.

Anyone else having the same issue (unpack failed but quick par-check successful)?

yeehaa

Post by yeehaa » 29 Sep 2014, 13:54

hugbug wrote:....

Anyone else having the same issue (unpack failed but quick par-check successful)?
do you expect this issue in v13 as well? I used to have crc failures and retired that hardware assuming it was a hardware issues.. (because the same version of nzbget with the same settings and the same nzb file worked perfect on a different device)..but now i started from scratch and reinstalled again on the retired hardware and it is working fine again!

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 29 Sep 2014, 14:17

yeehaa wrote:do you expect this issue in v13 as well?
No, quick par-check is a v14 feature.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 09 Oct 2014, 21:14

Improvement in quick par-verification (r1139):
  • if unpack fails (excluding invalid password errors) and quick par-check does not find any errors or quick par-check was already performed the full par-check is performed;
  • this helps in rare situations when files were correctly downloaded (and therefore assumed correct by quick par-check) but incorrectly written into disk due to abnormal program termination (caused by bugs or hardware crashes)
@prinz: please let me know if you have the issue with par:success and unpack:failure again (it should not happen anymore).

carow

Post by carow » 23 Apr 2015, 14:56

I am currently experiencing this par:success and unpack:failure error on NZBGet 14.2. Do you want me to test anything before I try redownloading? Also using Astraweb, by the way.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 23 Apr 2015, 15:01

Please send me the log-file.
And instead of using "Download again" from history please add the nzb-file via add add-dialog with option "Disable par-check". This is to preserve the history if we need to take a closer look.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 23 Apr 2015, 15:11

Then make a copy of the downloaded directory and run par2cmdline or QuickPar on it and post the results or send them to me at nzbget@gmail.com.
Thanks.