[New Feature] Integrated par2-module

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
hugbug
Developer & Admin

[New Feature] Integrated par2-module

Post by hugbug » 08 Aug 2014, 23:10

Patching of libpar2 is a challenge for many users who can't use precompiled binaries and need to compile NZBGet on their own. NZBGet depends on a few libraries (libxml2, OpenSSL or GnuTLS, ncurses, regex and zlib) but doesn't require any specific versions of these libraries.

Libpar2 is a different thing. Several changes were made to libpar2 as patches and submitted to libpar2 project in the last years but the project is not being developed since 2006. Users who want all features of NZBGet were required to download, patch and install libpar2. Not an easy thing (it turned out).

This ends now once and for all.
The par2-module (libpar2) has been integrated into NZBGet's source code tree. The par2-module is now built automatically during compiling of NZBGet and it also linked statically into NZBGet executable.

You don't need to care about par2-module at all, just compile NZBGet as usual (./configure && make). Since all other required libraries are widely used and most likely present on every system already the compiling of NZBGet becomes much easier than ever before.

The dependency of external libpar2 and libsigc++ has been eliminated.

Usually it's not a good thing to integrate an external library into program's source code because that requires the maintenance of the library. However in this case there are no any maintenance of libpar2 anyway.

If you were using custom build scripts you may need to change them.

Note for package maintainers: remove dependencies from libpar2 and libsigc++.

Implemented in r1079.

salami

Re: [New Feature] Integrated par2-module

Post by salami » 11 Aug 2014, 09:23

Great! The elimination of libsigc++ also makes building on windows a lot easier as all the other dependencies (OpenSSL, regex, zlib) are available as precompiled libraries.

clintonhall

Post by clintonhall » 11 Aug 2014, 22:08

You legend :D

Makes life so much easier...

I assume that if my Package actually includes libpar, but pulls down the latest binaries from git, then when the new binary is statically linked with the included libpar this should just ignore the existing libpar that was put in the package?

I.e. When I compile the next testing release this should just work ;)

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 11 Aug 2014, 22:11

clintonhall wrote:when the new binary is statically linked with the included libpar this should just ignore the existing libpar that was put in the package?
That's correct.

get39678

Post by get39678 » 12 Aug 2014, 10:53

I have given the latest build a try and everything seemed to compile and run ok. The integrated par2 module also makes it much easier to install for new users. Thanks

rds_correia

Post by rds_correia » 18 Aug 2014, 10:45

Like clintonhall said: legend! :D

DaleT

Post by DaleT » 21 Aug 2014, 17:22

Thanks for this. Never managed to get nzbget to work with libpar when running from home folder. Need this for a shared server.
Been using nzbget for years at home with no problems and love how clean it looks up to the crappy Sabnzbd. Had to use Sabnzbd on my shared server. Glad I no longer have to :D