[New Feature] Simultaneous NZB downloading

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
mannibis

Re: [New Feature] Simultaneous NZB downloading

Post by mannibis » 26 Feb 2016, 00:39

Just throwing in my two cents here. I have a 350 Mbit line and I max out every download, regardless of age. I just downloaded something 2100 days old @ 38 MB/s average. I don't know if it's the usenet provider or not (I use a combination of UsenetServer and Astraweb) or if it's the fact that I'm using 30+ connections simultaneously at all times, but I've never see this speed decrease for older articles. The only time I see speed slowdowns are on Sunday nights or when the networks are really congested--I notice the speeds are slower on both providers.

This sounds like a very interesting thing to think about though, but I'm not sure it would be worth it to code this complicated logic for the rare gains it may bring.

matt314159

Post by matt314159 » 04 Mar 2016, 07:04

220mb line here and with highwinds, I definitely see the slowdowns on older files. I've been collecting a bunch of 40-50GB files lately, and on files over 1,000 days old especially, there's a very high chance I'll see speeds closer to 80-100mb/s through the entire length of the download, regardless of how many concurrent nntp connections I set, the overall speed remains about the same. In testing, however, I've noticed that if I later re-download the same file a second time, it saturates my connection. It seems like the providers put a file into nearline/cold storage if it's 1) old and 2) not accessed in a long time, and then once accessed, it puts it back into hot storage. This is totally anecdotal/observational, but it's happened enough now that I think I'm onto something.

This slowdown affects me because my workflow is to get 150-200GB of these 40-50GB files queued up at once and it really becomes a bottleneck when the download queue is stuck at 13MB/s for the entire length of the file as it chews through all of one file's articles at a slower speed, leaving half my usable bandwidth on the table.

Even if it were a manual feature to tell the download queue how many simultaneous files to work on, it would be wonderful. Sab folks have said they have no plans to implement this as the download queue is complicated enough already, but this feature is definitely something I'd switch to NZBGet for. My provider gives me 50 simultaneous server connections, so I'd rather divvy them up between two files at once and thus ensure I'm saturating my line.

ObB

Post by ObB » 07 Mar 2016, 16:05

I have a slightly different reason for wanting to see simultaneous NZB downloading.

My primary provider is slow (700MB/s) and short retention (60 days) but free, and I have backup block accounts on fast, long retention providers, but they cost money.

If an NZB that is older than 60 days is added to the queue, it gets stuck waiting behind other newer NZBs downloading on the slow server, when it could be downloading on the block accounts if simultaneous downloading was supported.

I realize my situation is fairly unique, and party caused by me being cheap and not wanting to pay for a monthly unlimited account, so I don't expect it to be implemented based on my needs, but it would be nice :)

mannibis

Post by mannibis » 07 Mar 2016, 21:12

ObB wrote: My primary provider is slow (700MB/s)
Do you mean KB/s?

ObB

Post by ObB » 07 Mar 2016, 21:30

mannibis wrote:
ObB wrote: My primary provider is slow (700MB/s)
Do you mean KB/s?
:oops: ... yes indeed. Its included with my cable ISP and based on the headers its a Highwinds server with max 3 connections, each rate limited to 2mbps which allowing for overhead = ~700KB/s