[Feature Request] Download Parts to Memory

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
gigabyte0

[Feature Request] Download Parts to Memory

Post by gigabyte0 » 24 Jun 2016, 01:25

I want to minimize my hard disk usage and speed up my extraction so can you add a cache that will store the rar parts in memory. Of course once the memory buffer gets full it overflows to disk (probably just how the Article cache works).

This would be very useful for people that have a download rig with a few gigs of memory to spare. Memory is cheap and plentiful these days so I can see a lot of people using this

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: [Feature Request] Download Parts to Memory

Post by hugbug » 24 Jun 2016, 05:24

Unpack is perfomed by external program "unrar" and it can process only real files on disk.

gigabyte0

Post by gigabyte0 » 06 Oct 2016, 18:21

But source is provided by rarlabs. There shouldn't be much tweaking required to extract from memory. This would be huge performance gain and hard drive life extended.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 06 Oct 2016, 18:44

I'm not going to do that for two reasons. First, tweaking unrar sources is way to nowhere. Unrar is constantly updated by the author and tracking down the changes and updating own fork (for years to come) is a work I can't commit to. I'm not even talking about licensing issues.
Second, you hugely underestimate amount of work required in nzbget to manage downloaded files in memory.

You can try to use RAM drive as InterDir to achieve a similar effect but you need a lot of memory to ensure the whole download fits into the ram drive. There are also other issues: failed downloads remain in InterDir and may quickly exhaust it; when reordering items in queue the files for partially downloaded items remain in InterDir too. The first issue can be solved with a post-processing script.