[Feature Request] Make InterDir a list

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
hayate

[Feature Request] Make InterDir a list

Post by hayate » 04 Jul 2016, 21:53

The (embedded) device on which I'd like to run NZBGet has two available storage devices, a 32GB microSDXC card and a 1TB (mechanical) HDD. In order to optimize unpacking performance, I'd like to use the microSDXC card as InterDir and the HDD as DestDir. For a download whose size is no greater than 32GB, this setup works fine. However, if the download size exceeds 32GB, then NZBGet fails to complete the download. In this latter case, it may be preferable to use the HDD as both InterDir and DestDir, in spite of the performance implications.

One way to achieve this would be to make InterDir a (prioritized) list of directories and, immediately prior to starting each download, assign it as InterDir the first entry in this list whose filesystem has sufficient free space for the download.

Thank you for NZBGet! Keep up the good work! :)

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: [Feature Request] Make InterDir a list

Post by hugbug » 04 Jul 2016, 22:05

Have you made performance tests for your system: using InterDir on SD vs InterDir on HDD? There is a big chance the latter will be faster because SD cards usually suck and should be avoided.

hayate

Post by hayate » 04 Jul 2016, 22:57

I have not run any tests on the device because it is not yet in my possession. When I get it, I will. :)

Regardless, there are considerations other than performance, such as power usage. I'd like for the HDD to remain spun down as much as possible.

Also, for the sake of argument, what if the slow microSDXC card were instead a fast but equally space-limited SSD? In this case, you would definitely want this feature, right?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 05 Jul 2016, 05:43

For each feature development efforts must pay off. This feature makes things more complex than necessary. More complex means bugs etc.

SD cards are slow and shouldn't be used, SSD are cheap, you are not going to buy 32GB one and a very cheap 120GB should fit downloads of any size.

I need a real use case, you see? ;)

hayate

Post by hayate » 05 Jul 2016, 11:56

If you think it's fine for NZBGet to fail because of a static InterDir setting, then so be it, but don't say mine is not a real use case. ;)

I'd like to run NZBGet on a Cubietruck board which has, in terms of storage options, a SATA port, a slot for a microSDXC card, and a pair of USB ports.

The (single) SATA port will be used for a 1TB HDD that I own already.

I'm seeing downloads in excess of 120GB right here.

These downloads are extreme cases, which is exactly the reason that I don't want to optimize my system for them. However, I would like for NZBGet to not fail on them while free disk space is available, even if it does mean that performance will be sub-optimal.

For me, downloads will usually not exceed 16GB so that is what I want to optimize my system for.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 05 Jul 2016, 12:55

hayate wrote:but don't say mine is not a real use case.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You haven't tested performance yet. Once you did there is a great chance the one-disk-for-all variant will outperform all others because the HDD attached via SATA will be much much faster than drives connected as SD-cards or via USB.

Currently you are making mistake assuming two drives are always faster than one but you ignore connectivity interface. The USB and SD performance of ARM boards is often much worse than the performance of the hard disk itself.

neilt0

Post by neilt0 » 10 Jul 2016, 11:03

That SD card also won't last long if nzbget is writing to it frequently.