[Feature Request] Unpack ZIP files

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
d0zer

[Feature Request] Unpack ZIP files

Post by d0zer » 09 Aug 2018, 11:59

¡Hola

First: thanks for this great tool! Simply awesome.

I was wondering why somthing is not working. A quick look in the source code gives the answer. Its not implemented: unpacking ZIP files.

7zip is already used so it should be a small change to just extend this to ZIP files. I know they are rare in the Usenet atm .. but there will be way more soon in the near future :ugeek: .

Btw: SabNZBd and Synology Download Station are able to unpack encrypted ZIP files. :oops:

Thanks a lot,
d.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: [Feature Request] Unpack ZIP files

Post by hugbug » 09 Aug 2018, 13:51

Since no one uses zip format when posting to Usenet there is no point in supporting it. The rare zipped posts contain exes with viruses.

d0zer

Post by d0zer » 10 Aug 2018, 08:18

Yes, that's true for now. But technology evolves and in the near future will be a need for unpacking ZIP files. I think a post processing script will do the job also, until its so obvious that this functionality will be included in NZBGet.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 10 Aug 2018, 08:45

I doubt it will happen because rar and 7z are superior to zip. There is no reason for uploaders to use zip.

Should this happen nonetheless the support for zip can be added but not until then.

d0zer

Post by d0zer » 14 Aug 2018, 08:00

I sent you a PM with some details. Hope that explains it a bit more.

toro

Post by toro » 17 Feb 2019, 14:39

I am new to NZBget, Have been using SabNZB for years, So far I like NZBget, but I have to agree with this poster, Zip file unpacking for nzbs should be included, I have just tried 3 files and they were all zipped, at first I thought I messed something in the nzb directories, I turned on sab again and they started downloading, went back and tried again and unzipped the files, boom, nzbget got them. I did not know this was not supported until I searched the web trying to figure out what I was missing to enable this feature, the fact that it doesn't support this is a bummer.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 17 Feb 2019, 16:39

toro, this topic is about unpacking downloaded zip-files, a feature no one needs (because zip files are not posted to Usenet).

To unpack compressed nzb-files (that's a very different thing) you can try this extension script - https://forum.nzbget.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1600. Or better use non-compressed nzb-files.

toro

Post by toro » 17 Feb 2019, 22:46

Thanks, now I just need to figure out how to apply it, :?:

MrVideo

Post by MrVideo » 20 Mar 2019, 13:12

toro wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 22:46
Thanks, now I just need to figure out how to apply it, :?:
I have no clue how to install the above script as well. The scripts directory, as shipped, has two python files there. The zip file has a directory (I run under Linux) with files, other than the expected python file. The README doesn't contain any installation instructions.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 20 Mar 2019, 13:46

This topic was about unzipping downloaded files.

For discussion about unzipping nzb-files and in particular issues related to certain scripts I suggest to post questions in appropriate threads. That increases the chances to get reply from the script author.