[Feature Request] Recursive/Progressive Unpack And Delete?

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
UsenetMel

[Feature Request] Recursive/Progressive Unpack And Delete?

Post by UsenetMel » 19 Dec 2020, 21:15

Hello developers, thanks for your awesome work.

I'm new to downloading files from Usenet so bear with me.

I was wondering if it's possible to make NZBGet delete each individual rar after extracting its files. This concerns mobile devices that are tight on storage and can't accommodate all of the compressed files during unpacking. So is deleting the rars that were extracted possible?

Example:

I downloaded a 70 GB movie on my phone and was left with 8 GB free space, in post-processing it gives me the error UNPACK:SPACE.

Thanks in advance

Crowley

Re: [Feature Request] Recursive/Progressive Unpack And Delete?

Post by Crowley » 03 May 2021, 07:09

I was thinking about the possibility of doing something similar to reduce disk writes.

When direct unpack is working, which for me is 99.9% of my downloads, would it be possible to delete the rar files as they are extracted? Do you need to have every rar file for some reason?

My thinking is you could do everything in RAM and only write the extracted file to disk without requiring too much ram. There could be a fallback/redownload using disk based interdir if direct unpack does fail.

Would it be possible in theory?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 05 May 2021, 18:10

Deleting archive files immediately after unpack becomes problematic if unpack fails and the download needs to be repaired. In that case all files are needed for par2-repair process.

Unpacking files directly from memory requires integrating of unrar-code into nzbget. This is not possible because unrar code is not open source and may not be intergraded into open source projects. Not even talking about difficulties of reworking of unrar code to work with memory data instead of files.

Crowley

Post by Crowley » 05 May 2021, 21:18

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Perhaps one way to reduce writes with small files would be interdir on a ram drive. Perhaps a pool with a ram drive and a folder on ssd that would fill the ram drive first.

If the download is smaller than the ram drive, ssd would not be written to.