[New Feature] Smart duplicates

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: [New Feature] Smart duplicates

Post by hugbug » 17 Oct 2013, 22:01

r882:
removed check if download has downloaded files.

prinz2311

Post by prinz2311 » 22 Oct 2013, 12:50

There is another issue "bug" with the dupe handling. Example Scenario:

Getting a nzb of a episode/movie/... from multiple providers. One will be unpaused and downloaded. If this nzb has missing articles (not files!) and fails, now another of the nzb's will be unpaused. But the problem is: Because all files are already downloaded and nzb name (and therefor the download folder) is the same, nzbget thinks all files are already downloaded and will skip all (corrupt) files and fail again and again with all the other nzb's from the other providers (that are complete or more complete).

Solution would be, that nzbget would rename or move (to failed folder and rename if folder already exists) a failed download before unpausing and downloading another nzb to make sure the other one is really downloaded. I don't think deleting a failed download folder is a solution.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 22 Oct 2013, 13:48

When option InterDir is used:
A solution could be to make sure every download has a unique directory (inside InterDir). Currently the directory name is equal to nzb-name. To make it unique I could add internal nzb-id:

Code: Select all

/home/user/downloads/inter/My.Tv.Show.S01E02.(123)
/home/user/downloads/inter/My.Tv.Show.S01E02.(124)
This will not help if InterDir is not used though, but why not using it?

prinz2311

Post by prinz2311 » 22 Oct 2013, 13:59

That would make using a InterDir mandatory to make the Smart duplicates work correctly in all cases (and this is not a rare one).

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 22 Oct 2013, 14:01

Currently InterDir is empty by default but I'll make it active by default.
Is this bad?

prinz2311

Post by prinz2311 » 22 Oct 2013, 14:12

Not bad, but there has to be at least a clear Info that it is required to use this InterDir to make Smart duplicates work.

And what about people that upgrade?
Normally such existing options don't change for them to the new default after an upgrade. So you have to inform somehow these people to use this option now (and why).

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 22 Oct 2013, 15:06

This has less to do with duplicate handling but more with RSS in general. Without RSS users usually don't have nzbs with same names.
It's RSS who queues files with same names. Duplicate handling makes this problem actually less a problem since not all these entries are downloaded (in best case - only one of them).

I'll mention in release notes for stable version that InterDir should be used for better results with RSS.

Another possibility if InterDir is not used: when generating destination directory for nzb check if it exists and add an unique number to it. May be do so even if InterDir is used, instead of adding nzb-id to each dir-name add 1,2,3 only when necessary. This would make the handling same with InterDir and without it.

prinz2311

Post by prinz2311 » 22 Oct 2013, 15:17

I had that alone in the last week 3 times and I don't use RSS. The problem is when a indexer has incomplete nzbs. The same thing on the same indexing software has most of the time the same nzb name. So I had to delete the folder content in all 3 cases and then add a complete nzb.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 22 Oct 2013, 21:18

r889:
when option "InterDir" is used the intermediate destination directory names now include unique numbers to avoid several downloads with same name to use the same directory and interfere with each other
Option InterDir is now also active by default.

prinz2311

Post by prinz2311 » 29 Oct 2013, 19:25

Another "Problem":

If a download fails because of Low disk space during unpack, a dupe will be unpaused. That doesn't make much sense, because the reason can only be fixed by freeing space on the device and the download has not really failed in most cases (and the unpaused will fail too in most cases if it's not much smaller).