Request: Password File

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
raimuell

Request: Password File

Post by raimuell » 15 Jan 2014, 20:54

Hi,
the last 3 years I used sabnzbd, but as sab is to slow at my nas, I changed to nzbget. Speed is perfect now.
Is there a possibility to write down all passwords in a "password-file" which could be read by nzbget (as sabnzbd do)?
I know the script to find the password in the nzb-name, but many nzbs have passwords written on Forum pages.

greets and thanks
Rainer

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Request: Password File

Post by hugbug » 15 Jan 2014, 21:13

The password can be set on the postprocess-tab in download-edit-dialog: click on download, then on button "Postprocess", there is a password field there.

raimuell

Post by raimuell » 16 Jan 2014, 10:12

Thanks a lot, but there is no password file? The passwords I use are most the same.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 16 Jan 2014, 14:23

How this should work? Try all paswords? This would take eternity.

raimuell

Post by raimuell » 16 Jan 2014, 17:52

Yes, sabnzbd do this. I had a file (.txt) with 30 passwords and sab tried everyone, since it found the right one.

dal0ki

Post by dal0ki » 07 Feb 2014, 12:56

+1

It's nearly the same situation as raimuell said. A password file like sabnzbd has would be great !!!

douche

Post by douche » 08 Feb 2014, 23:57

this would be very handy for posts where there's a known password, so there's no need to manually add it all the time.

hugbug, you ask how it would work, and since I still don't have an account there, maybe someone else will post this:
If, when a job gets to the unpack phase, and unrar asks for a password, if there is no password defined in the job (as the current process requires), NZBGet would then load up a "passwords.txt" file, and then try the passwords contained in that file, line by line.
For example, if the "passwords.txt" file contains:

Code: Select all

pass1[TAB]
pass[space]2
pass3
NZBGet would first try "pass1[TAB]" to unrar, and if it fails, it would try the next line, if that fails, the next line, and so on...

hugbug you say this would take an eternity, but the reality, it's just trying the password on the first rar file, not each individual part. It does NOT take forever, at least in SAB.
If users are smart, they'd put the common passwords in the first few lines in the "passwords.txt" file.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 09 Feb 2014, 09:46

OK, guys, I see how this can be useful.
I might need to change the way how files are unpacked in NZBGet in order for that to NOT take ages. Currently NZBGet passes "*.rar" as argument to unrar, not just the first file (xxx.part001.rar) and this may cause unrar to try every rar-file if password fails for the first.

I've added this to todo-list but please don't expect a quick fix.

douche

Post by douche » 09 Feb 2014, 21:18

hugbug wrote:OK, guys, I see how this can be useful.
I might need to change the way how files are unpacked in NZBGet in order for that to NOT take ages. Currently NZBGet passes "*.rar" as argument to unrar, not just the first file (xxx.part001.rar) and this may cause unrar to try every rar-file if password fails for the first.

I've added this to todo-list but please don't expect a quick fix.
sounds good. at least it's on the list!