Question: Difference between ipkg optware and Synology SPK?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
Steggl

Question: Difference between ipkg optware and Synology SPK?

Post by Steggl » 02 Feb 2014, 10:25

Hello all,

I just re-installed my mighty ;-) DS110j with a new DSM 4.3 SW due to the laughable HDD performance caused by the 512 bytes / 4K cluster size issue existent back then (first install in 2010).
Now before the re-installI was using the optware ipkg pulled version of NZBGET 12 and my CPU load was between 40-80% with maxing out my 16MBit/s line. Now that the synocommunity also offers the SPK for version 12 I installed that one but guess what, the CPU load will always be at 100% and dl performance was around 8Mbit/s with the same settings.... :shock:

Puzzled, I did another ipkg install for nzbget and compared the binaries. The optware version for my ARM is around 400kB while the SynoCommuity version is around 1MB.
How comes that a) the size is differing so much and b) the performance differs so much? I exchanged the binaries and everything is back to "normal".

Thank you, best regards,
Steggl

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Question: Difference between ipkg optware and Synology S

Post by hugbug » 02 Feb 2014, 15:33

Interesting.

And you can switch binaries back and forth without changing anything in config and you can always see that speed difference?

I need very clear confirmation so I could contact synocommunity team about the issue.

The size differences can be caused by compiling options (debug etc.) and by linking some libraries statically such as libpar2. The command "ldd nzbget" prints linked shared libraries. Compare the output for both. If the synocommunity version doesn't list libpar2, then it is linked statically.

Steggl

Post by Steggl » 02 Feb 2014, 15:40

Let me try this later today :-)

robbobloke

Post by robbobloke » 04 Feb 2014, 18:51

I've registered to say that this is 100% happening.

Exactly same settings..

Synocommunity package (12 stable) I'm getting 4500 KB/s
IPKG build (12 stable) I'm getting 5500+ KB/s

Something, somewhere isn't right. Not sure what other details I can give to help?!

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 04 Feb 2014, 19:30

robbobloke wrote:Not sure what other details I can give to help?!
For reference please post your device model number and firmware version.
I can imagine that the difference may be caused by different compiler settings such as optimization parameters. This could explain 4500 vs 5500 but not 8mbit vs 16mbit.
What else comes to mind - optware tends to install complete own environment and libraries. May be different OpenSSL versions or even libc versions make the difference. Can you make tests without encryption? Also make sure the option AccurateRate is disabled.