Download Speed!

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
rovingkid

Download Speed!

Post by rovingkid » 03 Sep 2014, 12:02

I'm on a 250Mbit connection.

With SABnzbd I was getting 4 - 5MB/sec DL speeds max.
With NZBget I average 10+MB/sec, which is a huge improvement already.

My main provider is UseNetServer. Secondary is Eweka. Block is Usenet-Hosting. And I currently have my dad's Newshosting account plugged in as well.

Yesterday he asked me to check something for him using Newshosting's own usenet browser and... well, I downloaded at almost 30 MB/sec! I thought I wasn't seeing right...

NZBget is running on my Synology NAS (Ethernet).
I used the Newshosting browser on my Macbook Air.

Important: I use SSL on all connections in NZBget. I have no clue how the Newshosting browser connects to their servers (SSL or not).

Is this a CPU limitation? SSL? Something else?

vergessen

Re: Download Speed!

Post by vergessen » 03 Sep 2014, 12:43

This could be a limitation of your nas. SSL adds overhead and computing power needs. You could always try nzbget on your mac and check your results there. This can also be a limiting factor on your providers based on your location and so on.

I would try nzbget with the newshosting account and see what you get.

rovingkid

Post by rovingkid » 03 Sep 2014, 12:46

Currently at work but will do when I get home. Good idea. Thanks!

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 03 Sep 2014, 13:08

Aside from SSL (which requires CPU work) the download from Usenet itself needs decoding, which also requires CPU power. NASes usually have slow CPUs. With high speed Internet connection the CPU can be overwhelmed. Check the CPU load of the NAS during download (via web console or via terminal). If it's near 100% the speed is limited by CPU. Otherwise there could be many other reasons.