Question of portability?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
sevnzbget

Question of portability?

Post by sevnzbget » 06 May 2015, 13:22

Hello hugbug,

I am new to NZBget, having switched from SABNzbd, so please pardon me if I have made any mistakes. Thank you for providing such a wonderful alternative. I love it so far!

Anyways, I searched forums, read threads on reddit and googled but (unbelievably) could not find an answer to this. Is there any way to make NZBget fully portable with its settings? This is a huge deal to me and many others on the web.

SABNzbd is able to be portable.

I have set all folders (except in DestDir + InterDir) to a D:/Applications/NZBget/Settings/________
Additionally, I found a nzbget.conf and nzbget.conf file in C:\Program Data which I moved to D:\Applications\NZBGet

I don't see any renegade files across my system from NZBget. I would like ALL settings inside of NZBget and not to use registry.
I searched the registry and don't see any entries for nzbget.

Have I done all that I should? Can NZBget be made to be portable in terms of its settings? I don't want to use ANY folder located on the C:\ drive for settings.

UPDATE: right clicking the nzbget systray icon, I was able to confirm that it recognizes all the folders correctly (/settings) and the .config file correctly. This makes me very, very happy!
Let me know if I am missing anything :p

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Question of portability?

Post by hugbug » 06 May 2015, 14:00

This is a huge deal to me and many others on the web.
No one has asked for this before.

However it depends on what you mean with portable. To my understanding portable is a program which can be stored on an USB stick and works on any computer it is connected to (with the supported OS of course). That's not the case with NZBGet.

Nonetheless NZBGet can be used as container where everything is stored in one directory. Put the config file into application folder where it is searched for first. You can use relative paths in the config file by referencing to "${AppDir}".
The data stored in the queue isn't fully portable however because the queue-state-file contains absolute paths. If you move the whole container into another directory the queue will not load correctly. Still you can replace paths in the file "queue" using a text editor if you need to move the container.

Preferences used by the tray icon are stored in the registry.

sevnzbget

Post by sevnzbget » 06 May 2015, 14:08

Hi,
I can't believe no one has asked you about this. There are entire legions of users that will not use an app unless it is portable!
I don't mean truly portable in terms USB key support. All I want is all settings to be able to be stored inside of the NZBget folder. I constantly wipe my C:\ partition and it's a royal PITA to have to re-tune my apps, so portability is critical. I store all my apps in a special directory on D:\ partition

In this regard, are all my settings stored in the NZBget folder?

Also, what registry keys does NZBget use? I didn't find any when I searched

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 06 May 2015, 14:22

sevnzbget wrote:In this regard, are all my settings stored in the NZBget folder?
All settings are stored in a single configuration file.

Except the few preferences used by the tray icon (click on tray icon, then on Preferences):

Code: Select all

HKEY_CURRENT_USER, "Software\\NZBGet":
"ShowTrayIcon"
"ShowConsole"
"ShowWebUI"

sevnzbget

Post by sevnzbget » 07 May 2015, 15:46

I wish there was a 'portable mode' where it would store all the settings in the folder without too much intervention. :( :( :(

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 07 May 2015, 16:55

Put the config file into app directory and you have the portable mode on.

sevnzbget

Post by sevnzbget » 08 May 2015, 15:27

Thanks hugbug. That's what I did + modify the folders and it works. NZBget is great! Keep up the good work

sevnzbget

Post by sevnzbget » 01 Aug 2015, 09:26

Hi hugbug,

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and can confirm that the following settings *were not* carried over in the install.

Plus, the following registry entries were made, despite the fact that I did everything listed to try and make it portable.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\NZBGet]
"ShowTrayIcon"=dword:00000001
"ShowConsole"=dword:00000000
"ShowWebUI"=dword:00000000

Any ideas?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 01 Aug 2015, 09:35

Haven't I already answered that question in my previous post? These settings are stored in registry.

sevnzbget

Post by sevnzbget » 01 Aug 2015, 09:39

hugbug wrote:Haven't I already answered that question in my previous post? These settings are stored in registry.
Oh, lol. I thought the "Put the config file into app directory and you have the portable mode on." meant it would save it in the config file. Was a little confused.

Thanks for the quick response. If there's -any- chance of getting these settings moved to the config directory, I am certain it would be appreciated by the portable-loving software zealots like myself. If it's too much trouble, it's okay then.

NZBget is really a very beautiful piece of software. Thank you for writing it.