Question of portability?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Question of portability?

Post by hugbug » 01 Aug 2015, 09:48

These three settings control the behaviour of tray icon, a pure windows thing.
The config file holds all other settings, which are also used on all platforms.

Even if these three settings are not portable, does this makes any troubles? If you don't want to reconfig these settings after reinstall you could save the registry into a reg-file to import it later (after reinstall).

sevnzbget

Post by sevnzbget » 01 Aug 2015, 09:59

hugbug wrote:These three settings control the behaviour of tray icon, a pure windows thing.
The config file holds all other settings, which are also used on all platforms.

Even if these three settings are not portable, does this makes any troubles? If you don't want to reconfig these settings after reinstall you could save the registry into a reg-file to import it later (after reinstall).
Well, I think of it this way. If most apps had one of two settings to tune, it would make my life harder.. hehe. But, no in general it's not too much trouble.

Thank you for responding.

There is one other thing not related to portability that I don't think anyone has reported yet.

When running Windows 10 'hidden' Dark theme (official, from Microsoft), NZBget's icon cannot be seen. Here is a picture:

The NZBGet icon is between to the recyclebin + P icon. Is there any way to change this tray icon to make it more friendly with the darker theme/

Dark theme reg entry:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize]
"AppsUseLightTheme"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize]
"AppsUseLightTheme"=dword:00000000

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 01 Aug 2015, 10:21

Will look into that, create an issue on tracker - https://github.com/nzbget/nzbget/issues/66

sevnzbget

Post by sevnzbget » 01 Aug 2015, 10:26

hugbug wrote:Will look into that, create an issue on tracker - https://github.com/nzbget/nzbget/issues/66
You are amazing hugbug. When I get a steady job, I will donate via paypal

sevnzbget

Post by sevnzbget » 27 Mar 2017, 12:39

Hi hugbug,

sorry to drudge up this thread from the ashes, but I want to make another appeal if at all possible to somehow portabilize the settings in the registry written to

o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\NZBGet

Is it at all in the realm of possibility we could somehow force NZBget to write this to a config, ini, any file inside of the NZBget folder (in other words, don't use registry at all). Doing so we would be able to get the app on popular sites like https://www.portablefreeware.com/ and also save us an extra step when reinstalling windows.

Right now, I am forced to run NZBget in a sandbox (Sandboxie) to prevent it from writing to the registry..

Thanks again for this wonderful app. I use it daily and I hope you will consider this request. <3 much love :D

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Mar 2017, 06:47

Although saving into an ini-file is possible this alone will not make the app portable. Updates via web-interface will not work for example, because the updates use installer, which writes into registry.
sevnzbget wrote:we would be able to get the app on popular sites
That would be a bad thing because such packages would not work as good as the official installer (see above).

In other words making a portable version of nzbget is much more efforts than just changing the registry thing:
  1. avoid registry;
  2. use relative paths in queue-state-file (see my first reply of this topic);
  3. make automatic updates via web-interface work in portable mode;
  4. provide alternative portable version for download as zip-archive;
  5. explain to users what is the difference between installer and zip versions.
Especially 3 and 4 are complex things. I'm not convinced that we need an alternative package for windows.

Doing only 1 doesn't make much sense.I don't even know how to explain in release notes what this change was about - "we tried to make nzbget more portable friendly but you shouldn't try it because other important things do not work properly in this mode" - doesn't sound good, right?

sevnzbget

Post by sevnzbget » 28 Mar 2017, 12:30

I am thoroughly confused.

Here's the thing. Right now on my computer NZBGet is 99.9% portable (meaning the settings are contained in the folder without polluting the rest of the computer).
The registry key is the only thing that's left.

Regarding your comment about updates - I have the forum RSS'ed when there's a new update, download/run the installer into sandboxie and copy/paste the installed files into my NZBget folder.
provide alternative portable version for download as zip-archive;
I am not a programmers but this comment baffles me. Is it really that hard to include the files on your site as a RAR or ZIP or 7Zip. I would say 95%+ of the apps I use offer this.
explain to users what is the difference between installer and zip versions.
NZBget users are not general users. They are typically advanced if they're using usenet and this level stuff. If they don't know what the differences b/w zip and installer is... there's no hope for humanity... lol!

I'll tell you what - forget about #2-5. Can you work on just putting the contents of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NZBGet" into the nzbget.conf or another config or ini or whatever file?
That would make me (and others, I am sure) happy. I am assuming this won't break anything...?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Mar 2017, 12:48

sevnzbget wrote:Regarding your comment about updates - I have the forum RSS'ed when there's a new update, download/run the installer into sandboxie and copy/paste the installed files into my NZBget folder.
Even if this is a viable procedure for you, I can't imagine many users doing that instead of clicking a button in web-interface or just running the installer.
sevnzbget wrote:Can you work on just putting the contents of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NZBGet" into the nzbget.conf or another config or ini or whatever file?
What about "Start at login" option? It needs to write into registry (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run).

sevnzbget

Post by sevnzbget » 28 Mar 2017, 12:51

What about "Start at login" option? It needs to write into registry (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run).
I use a NZbget shortcut in /Startup folder (with other entries), but there are portable ways to do this too :)

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Mar 2017, 13:33

You see, portable version is more than writing three settings somewhere else.

I'm afraid I'm not going to do the change you are asking as it is a partial change that merely breaks things instead of solving something.