Just switched over from SAB. Insanely slow download speed.

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
matt314159

Just switched over from SAB. Insanely slow download speed.

Post by matt314159 » 06 Sep 2015, 17:02

Folks, I've done a bit of googling on this and I've not been able to come up with the solution so I'm wondering if you have any tips for me.

I just switched over to NZBGet from SabNZBD+ after 8 years. It had begun to crash on me randomly in the middle of long overnight download queues and so I decided it was finally time to bail vs troubleshooting sab.

Here's a bit of info about my setup:

- 2nd Gen Core i5 processor
- 8GB ram
- Windows 10.
- I use Stablebit drivepool to pool four external drives and one internal drive.
- I have a 200mb cable connection.
- I can easily get 16-20MB/s in SAB without even breaking a sweat, 20-24MB/s during off-hours

I set NZBGet up in a pretty standard fashion, no huge changes from the defaults, just added my servers, set my folder structure, configured the list of file extensions to delete on extraction, and started off.

NZBGet is downloading insanely slowly. Like, between 1.5 and 2.5MB/s or less, where the same file in sab pulls 15+MB/s. I messed around with disabling SSL on the downloads, increasing--and decreasing-- the number of concurrent threads on my servers, and it doesn't make a difference.

Because I'm so new to NZBget, I don't even really know where to begin.

Do any of you have any ideas for me to try? Or if there are any good wiki pages or how-to articles I'm missing, I'll gladly put my own skin in the game and do some reading if you can point me in the right direction. I did see the performance tips page, but the biggest ones listed don't seem to apply to me. (slow CPU, low ram, slow HDD throughput, etc).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give!

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Just switched over from SAB. Insanely slow download spe

Post by hugbug » 06 Sep 2015, 17:07

Make a test with only one news server connection in NZBGet and the same in SAB. What speeds do you get?

matt314159

Post by matt314159 » 06 Sep 2015, 17:29

hugbug wrote:Make a test with only one news server connection in NZBGet and the same in SAB. What speeds do you get?
NZBGet - 2.5-2.8 MB/s
SABnzbd+ - 5.0-5.5 MB/s

This is with 1 single connection to Newsdemon (highwinds).

*edit - Hmm, after that exercise, I bumped NZBGet back up to 10 connections, and now it's going along about 14MB/s. This is very interesting, but promising. I doubt that knocking it down to 1 connection and back up actually did anything, I just wonder if there was actually no problem before. I will test with a few more files and post back if there's actually an ongoing issue.

*edit #2 - It seems I can recreate the problem when I set both my primary and backup servers to priority level 0. If I set NewsDemon to Priority 0, and TweakNews to Priority 1, normal behavior is restored.
Last edited by matt314159 on 06 Sep 2015, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 06 Sep 2015, 17:41

What about 2, 4, 8, 16 connections?

matt314159

Post by matt314159 » 06 Sep 2015, 17:49

It behaves as one would expect. It seems to significantly slow down whenever it has to begin using the backup server. For some reason, my connections to Tweak are very slow (~150KB/s each) both in SAB and NZBGet. I don't think this is an issue with NZBGet as it is with my provider, and I think I just picked a bad file to choose as my test. I will continue to test over the next days and post back the results if there is trouble. I apologize for taking up your time, I think the problem was on my end all along! Thanks so much for your quick replies, they're greatly appreciated.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 06 Sep 2015, 17:53

No problem.
BTW, if you open download details by clicking on item in queue on history, you can click then on "Articles/completion" to get the info about which servers were used.

kloaknet

Post by kloaknet » 07 Sep 2015, 14:59

Have you got a antivirus installed, or are you using the windows 10 default antivirus etc? This causes issues, and slows downloads a lot.

morpheus

Post by morpheus » 23 Sep 2015, 12:14

@kloaknet
I run a copy of NZBGet on a Win10 box and haven't had any problems. YMMV especially when downloading dodgy stuff full of malware and viruses :roll:

@OP
kloaknet is possibly on to something. Try adding a couple of excluded folders to Win 10 defender.
Start > Settings > Updates & Security > Windows Defender > Add an Exclusion > + Exclude a folder

c:\mypathtonzbget\
c:\mypathtointerdir\
c:\mypathtonzbdir\

Hopefully you get my meaning.

But I wouldn't expect things to change a whole lot. I can't report any particular issues on Win 10 vs Win 7 vs Linux. Then again on my connection where I'm from, 10MBps (1 MB/s) is fast download speed so I probably wouldn't notice any change.

morpheus

Post by morpheus » 23 Sep 2015, 23:23

Fair enough.

I'm not running mine as a service on Win 10.