Download Again only the missing blocks / parts

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
sheid

Download Again only the missing blocks / parts

Post by sheid » 21 Apr 2016, 05:31

First of all, I know there is the Download Again action in the nzb history. The thing is, iirc, I ever only used it to completely re-download some nzb, which I have previously downloaded but deleted and tried to do it again and nzbget marked it as a dupe or some-such. Hence, I do not actually know how does it work exactly.

Today I have downloaded some really old and broken stuff. I have 1 primary and 2 backups, but still some nzbs fell below the health threshold and were paused, others failed the par repair. This is the stuff I need and there's no other place to get it. I am thinking of getting 1 or 2 additional block accounts for backup from other backbone providers, to try and complete the downloads.

What I would like to ask is this:
  1. Can NZBGet re-download the nzbs, but ONLY try and re-download the missing/broken blocks/parts of the files? I mean, after I've setup the additional backup servers. You see, these nzbs were pretty broken, so they already used a lot of traffic from my backup block accounts (hundreds of GBs). And the question is, does NZBGet is capable of "smart" re-downloading, when it skips already successfully downloaded blocks/parts of the broken files, so not to waste the backup block account's traffic again. Or does it simply re-download the complete nzb and all the files (good and broken) from scratch?
  2. If it doesn't support "smart" re-downloading of missing blocks/parts, does NZBGet at least support the skipping of files already present (like for example Alt.Binz)? I mean, is there any way to re-download with NZBGet and minimize the waste of traffic in any way?
  3. So what does Download Again exactly do, and how it works? Why and when would you use it (that is, if it doesn't work as I described in the questions above)?
  4. Same for Post-Process Again. How does it work and why/when would I use it? I mean if it failed the post-processing before, what do you people do, to make the Post-Processing Again useful?
Personally, I think NZBGet is the best there is atm. Thank you for such a great software. I probably went through all of them, paid and free alike, over the years, constantly looking for the best. Now I use NZBGet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Download Again only the missing blocks / parts

Post by hugbug » 21 Apr 2016, 05:46

The "Retry failed articles"-feature isn't available yet.
When you use command "Download again" it brings a confirmation box with info what it does - namely deleting of already downloaded files and complete redownload. It's useful if the downloaded files were deleted (by mistake for example) or as in your case if the files must be redownloaded after changing news servers settings.
"Post-process again" is useful if post-processing has failed before and you have fixed the resons causing failure (for example python config) or when you activate a previously inactive pp-script.

sheid

Post by sheid » 21 Apr 2016, 06:36

@hugbug thank you for such a fast reply.

Is the feature of "smart" failed articles re-download gonna be implemented in the future? If so, any predictions of when?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 21 Apr 2016, 13:24

Send me a note to nzbget@gmail.com with the info about your OS and CPU and I'll send you an experimental version to try out.