virus on my arch linux system

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
porphyry6

virus on my arch linux system

Post by porphyry6 » 11 May 2016, 15:01

I seem to have acquired a virus on my arch linux. Though not destructive, it is annoying, with these symptoms:
1) Large file transfers from one partition to another are progressively slowed down and finally stopped before completion
2) Similar interference with internet traffic
3) Often, when I shut the system down, one of these blocked file transfers is read by the system as an unfinished job and it (used to till I shortened the wait period) waits 90 seconds before closing it down.

Does anyone recognize these symptoms and know how to identify and get rid of this thing?

clamscan does not recognize this device, and that, coupled with its behavior, leads me to surmise:
That the thing was probably bought and paid for by some easily identifiable organization, possibly the MPAA, who would not relish being sued for malicious damage.
That such organization probably got an injunction declaring this thing is not a virus so that AV software will not include its signature on their hit-lists

In other words, this is really bad news for large file downloaders. While one's system remains fully functional in all other respects, it becomes essentially paralyzed if doing 1) or 2) above, and there isn't going to be any automatic elimination of the problem.