Slow downloads

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
asarian

Slow downloads

Post by asarian » 25 Aug 2016, 16:20

Using NZBGet (on Synology), I'm getting pretty slow downloads (ca. 1.7 MB/s vs. ca. 5 MB/s via SABNZbd). What could cause this? I have plenty CPU, plenty disk-speed; and, of course, no speed limits enabled, and 768M article cache. Everything seems really fine, except for the speed.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Slow downloads

Post by hugbug » 25 Aug 2016, 16:25

Some (older) nzbs may be slow on provider side. Have you tried different nzbs including recent ones?

How many news servers do you have configured and how many connections for each? Please make tests with one connection, with 2, 8, 16 and post results.

asarian

Post by asarian » 25 Aug 2016, 16:36

hugbug wrote:Some (older) nzbs may be slow on provider side. Have you tried different nzbs including recent ones?

How many news servers do you have configured and how many connections for each? Please make tests with one connection, with 2, 8, 16 and post results.
Giganews is, indeed, in the habit of speed-limiting very old files. But this was something from a few days ago.

I have 2 servers (giganews + astraweb); the latter is set as fill-server (priority 1, vs. 0 for giganews). I have disabled each server too, for test, but that makes no difference. Both servers have 6 connections each set for them (out of an allowed 20). I pretty much used the exact same settings as on Sabnzbd.

2, 6, 8. 16 connections hardly make any difference.

At first i thought maybe my ISP was slow today, but when I open the same nzb in Sabnzbd, or newsbin pro, I get the full download speed.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 25 Aug 2016, 16:41

When you mean SAB and newsbin they run not on the same computer where nzbget? If not - can you test with nzbget on that same computer?

asarian

Post by asarian » 25 Aug 2016, 16:48

hugbug wrote:When you mean SAB and newsbin they run not on the same computer where nzbget? If not - can you test with nzbget on that same computer?
Newsbin pro ran on Windows, of course. Sabnzbd on the same Synology machine.

Funny thing is, I am pretty sure I got things at full speed earlier today, after I installed. After that, I changed a few setting (like adding an article cache, plus a 1024 Write buffer). I disabled those again, for the test, but still same slow speed.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 25 Aug 2016, 17:06

It's weird that the number of connections doesn't change a thing.
Can you check cpu usage via top to ensure there is plenty of free cpu power. Maybe some other process eats cpu.
Do you use QoS on your router?

asarian

Post by asarian » 25 Aug 2016, 18:37

hugbug wrote:It's weird that the number of connections doesn't change a thing.
Can you check cpu usage via top to ensure there is plenty of free cpu power. Maybe some other process eats cpu.
Do you use QoS on your router?
I was starting to smell a rat when the connection kept getting slower and slower. Then I remembered I had my (newly installed) DSM 6 LAN configured to use Jumbo Frames (with an MTU of 2,000). Guess that started to cause a slow network congestion of sorts. Either that, or simply because I restarted the network services (I'll find out later, I reckon).

Anyway, consider the matter resolved (or outside your scope, at the least). And please accept my apologies for having wasted your time with this.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 25 Aug 2016, 19:11

Still strange why SAB could download much faster on the same system at the same time.

asarian

Post by asarian » 25 Aug 2016, 19:23

hugbug wrote:Still strange why SAB could download much faster on the same system at the same time.
Yes, it is. But even nzbget, when it started up, briefly ran at full speed. So I probably tested sabnzbd too shortly. For now the slowdown seems to have subsided, though.