unrar: filename with German special characters

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: unrar: filename with German special characters

Post by hugbug » 12 Oct 2019, 12:24

Unrar shipped with nzbget is compiled by me from official unrar source code. Because this source code doesn't come with good documentation about how to compile it properly for each system, it is well possible that I have used wrong compiler settings affecting unicode compatibility. Moreover it's compiled using a certain cross-compiling toolchain and results may be not 100% compatible with your system.

You can try compiling current version of unrar specifically for your system using compiler provided by system vendor.

Another possibility is to ask the NAS vendor to update their unrar.

rolmei

Post by rolmei » 30 Aug 2020, 08:42

Any new ideas that works?

forenuser

Post by forenuser » 28 Oct 2020, 16:10

I am using the wrapper script from al3x. It is working with unrar 6.0.1.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
unrar "$@"
exit $?
Last edited by forenuser on 30 Oct 2020, 11:19, edited 2 times in total.

al3x

Post by al3x » 28 Oct 2020, 19:01

Please keep in mind that my wrapper script is not working unfortunately. Please have a look at my later comment from 06 Oct 2019, 14:34. It's actually using a different version of unrar, that's why it is working.

forenuser

Post by forenuser » 28 Oct 2020, 19:20

I saw your comment. Nevertheless your wrapper is working in my environment (Fritz!Box with freetz-ng). If the wrapper doesn't work in your environment en_US.UTF-8 might not be available on your system. In this case you should find out which locales are available.

forenuser

Post by forenuser » 18 Nov 2020, 17:32

I had also problems with german special characters also on two other systems:
  • Wd Mycloud
  • NAS542
I was able to solve the problem with the following steps:
  • Install Entware
  • Install Entware Busybox, MC and unrar
Moreover I checked that the following lines are in /opt/etc/profile:

Code: Select all

export LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
export LC_ALL='en_US.UTF-8'

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 19 Dec 2020, 09:47

al3x wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 12:34
So here is what I know so far:
  • export LANG=en_US.UTF-8 doesn't seem to help at all
  • unrar in version 5.21 (the one my NAS comes with) doesn't have those problems
  • unrar in version 5.70 (the one shipped with NZBget) seems to have problems with those characters

Currently I don't know how to solve this tbh. 5.70 seems to be important and brings new features so I don't want to use the old one. But I don't know what's wrong with 5.70, maybe it doesn't support unicode and has to be replaced with another version?

Not sure what to do here...
I agree with al3x, i'm having the same problems with unpacking. Files with special characters are cut off. I've been trying to figure it out for mounths, it isn't a language problem, my profile file is set just right (you will find this answer in many post about this)
The mention above, gave me the answer. Unrar with the NAS is indeed 5.21 and in nzbget is 5.70, so i changed the settings to use the 5.21 version and it al works just fine ! (even the german test nzb :) )
I think Hugbug is right, its probebly some compiling problem, 5.21 is about 275k and 5.70 is 725k (?), did some tests and 5.21 is considerably faster than 5.70, about 50 to 100% depending what you are unpacking. I don't know the differance between 5.21 and 5.70, probebly some features i'll never use... So for people with this problem, use the native unrar version.
Hugbug keep up the good work ! i'm a huge fan of nzbget (i almost went to the "other"nzb because of this problem :) )

barenaked

Post by barenaked » 04 Aug 2022, 15:19

Hi,

I'm running NZBGet 21.1 on a Synology with DSM 6. Sadly I have the same issue but with the one exception that I'm using unrar 6.10 (directly from rarlabs, rar linux x64). Every time it unpacks an archive with german special characters (ä, ö, ü, ß) the extraced filename just ends right before that character.

e.g. "Tante Lise geht zum Bäcker.pdf" will result in "Tante Lise geht zum B"

There is no error in the log it just skips right over that.

If I don't unpack through NZBGet but use the same unrar 6.10 binary through the commandline, the filename extracts as it should. This makes me think it's not related to the system or the locale but rather to nzbget itself.

My unrar 6.10 binary is this one:

size date
355344 Jan 24 2022 unrar

whereas the NZBGet native 5.21 one is this:

size date
351248 Dec 1 2020 unrar

Is there any info we can provide to sort this out? It's not the biggest issue but kind of annoying to sometimes have a bunch of files that one has to rename manually afterwards.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Just tested the native (system binary? can't find it in the app or main directory) 5.21 and that one works, using "unrar" as the NZBGet UnrarCmd. 5.70, 6.00 and 6.10 don't work.