Running nzbget as a different user

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
gapone

Re: Running nzbget as a different user

Post by gapone » 23 Apr 2017, 18:48

hugbug wrote:Have you tried this?
Then setting option "daemonusername" in NZBGet should be sufficient.
Make a test: set the option, then open a terminal session with root user and start nzbget with "nzbget -D". NZBGet should run under "vpn" user account.
Yes I did. It's running as vpn user but webui isn't working

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 23 Apr 2017, 19:11

Do remote commands such as "nzbget -L" work?

gapone

Post by gapone » 24 Apr 2017, 04:04

hugbug wrote:Do remote commands such as "nzbget -L" work?
Yes and it can download files. Only thing that's not working is the webui.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 24 Apr 2017, 04:26

Well, now please tell what do you mean with "not working".

gapone

Post by gapone » 24 Apr 2017, 04:30

hugbug wrote:Well, now please tell what do you mean with "not working".
I can manually download files using terminal but I can't use the webui. I think it's getting ip of my vpn and that's why? So it doesn't listen on my local ip. Is there a way to bind it to my local ip or can I run webui as a different user?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 24 Apr 2017, 04:35

Can you please tell me what message do you get in web browser? A screenshot perhaps.

My question about "nzbget -L" was important. If you talk about binding problems, then I must ask again: does "nzbget -L" work (have you really tried it)? If it works - do you try it on the same computer where you start web-browser?

gapone

Post by gapone » 24 Apr 2017, 04:47

hugbug wrote:Can you please tell me what message do you get in web browser? A screenshot perhaps.

My question about "nzbget -L" was important. If you talk about binding problems, then I must ask again: does "nzbget -L" work (have you really tried it)? If it works - do you try it on the same computer where you start web-browser?
Nzbget -L (this was typed on the terminal of my server):
./nzbget -L
Request sent
Server has no files queued for download
Current download rate: 0 KB/s
Session download rate: 0 KB/s
Up time: 00:29:51
Download time: 00:00:00
Downloaded: 0 MB
Threads running: 9
Server state: Stand-By

I'm trying to access the webui from different computer so other than the server and of course on the same lan (not vpn). I can also send files from couchpotato and it doesn't use vpn (it's on the same server).
nzbget.webui.jpg

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 24 Apr 2017, 07:08

Since "nzbget -L" works that means the server part of nzbget is working. You can make another test to be absolutely sure the web-server is working: from terminal on computer where nzbget is running try "wget http://localhost:port/index.html" or use curl instead of "wget".

Check option ControlIP; if you changed it from default try setting it back to "0.0.0.0". If it's already set to 0.0.0.0, then there is probably routing issue from vpn network to your normal network, firewall or something.

gapone

Post by gapone » 24 Apr 2017, 14:35

hugbug wrote:Since "nzbget -L" works that means the server part of nzbget is working. You can make another test to be absolutely sure the web-server is working: from terminal on computer where nzbget is running try "wget http://localhost:port/index.html" or use curl instead of "wget".

Check option ControlIP; if you changed it from default try setting it back to "0.0.0.0". If it's already set to 0.0.0.0, then there is probably routing issue from vpn network to your normal network, firewall or something.
I can download the index.html so it's because of routing...

Huey

Post by Huey » 09 Dec 2017, 17:15

Hello,
I also use option DaemonUserName but I think in version 2.0.2159 it does not work anymore? When I start from commandline as that different user: /opt/nzbget/nzbget -c /opt/nzbget/.nzbget -D it indeed runs as that user, and is accesible from web.. When I start as root or from sysvinit it will only run as root. Pretty sure it worked before...
Any advice?