How to run NZBGet in Sandboxie?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
EnZioBe

Re: How to run NZBGet in Sandboxie?

Post by EnZioBe » 11 Jul 2017, 19:23

LOL!
In my case it's a big red and white O...

However, http://localhost:6789 does not open the NZBGet web-interface, but a page not found type of message. :(

EDIT: I entered nzbget --connect in command and then I tried the http://localhost:6789 in the browser and it worked! I also unchecked a Start-Stop setting for nzbget in Sandboxie, so one or both (or neither) of these may have been the problem.
Last edited by EnZioBe on 11 Jul 2017, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 11 Jul 2017, 19:29

If nzbget (in console window) doesn't print errors like "Binding socket failed..." then it has successfully opened the port and listen for connections.
Could it be that the Sandboxie or Windows Firewall block the application or the port?

Provided you haven't changed the default port in nzbget. At best start nzbget without Sandboxie and check the URL of nzbget web-interface (add to favourites).

EnZioBe

Post by EnZioBe » 11 Jul 2017, 19:30

Thanks. Please see the edit in my previous posting.

I'll have to experiment a little more and see how I can finally get things working smoothly. You have been extremely helpful. :)

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 11 Jul 2017, 19:33

So it seems to work when started from command prompt?

Still doesn't work with normal start on nzbget.exe from Windows explorer? No tray icon and no process "nzbget.exe" in task manager?

EnZioBe

Post by EnZioBe » 12 Jul 2017, 13:06

I can now confirm as follows:
nzbget -s on the command prompt works.
If I then open http://localhost:6789 in my browser, I see the familiar web interface.

I have set python.exe, nzbget.exe as trusted programs in Bitdefender. In the Sandboxie sandbox that I use they have both been declared as "Forced Programs". However, the nzbget does not seem to start if I run it outside the command prompt. By contrast, sonarr runs with no problems outside a command prompt.

EnZioBe

Post by EnZioBe » 14 Jul 2017, 13:54

I wonder if there is a way to run nzbget.exe -s on the command line, but to have the DOS window hidden.

Currently the only way that I managed to get NzbGet to run in Sandboxie is as I described in my previous posting and I'm looking for a way to close the command Window once nzbget starts with the -s parameter.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 14 Jul 2017, 16:18

If nzbget works properly without sandboxie and doesn't start with sandboxie the logic suggests the issue is in sandboxie. I guess it manipulates (hacks) with the system preventing normal program execution.

Why do you need sandboxie with nzbget at all? Is this some kind of obsession or do you have a valid use case requiring that sandboxie? Do you trust the commercial closed source program more than the free open source software?

EnZioBe

Post by EnZioBe » 14 Jul 2017, 17:24

Thank you for your reply. You are right that the problem is with sandboxie, because nzbget used to work perfectly before I installed sandboxie. I like your argument questioning why one should trust a commercial closed source program more than free, open source software. I never thought about it like that. :)

Basically, I am indeed being obsessed as to why a program doesn't work as it should, or I think it should. Otherwise in terms of effectiveness, there is no difference and I should definitely try to avoid taking advantage of other people's time just to satisfy my obsession. That's why I should again thank you for all the attention that you have paid to my query.