Segmentation Fault after upgrading to FreeBSD 11.1?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
bullydog

Segmentation Fault after upgrading to FreeBSD 11.1?

Post by bullydog » 26 Jul 2017, 19:32

Has anyone else experienced a segmentation fault with NZBGet after upgrade to FreeBSD 11.1? Trying to figure out if it's a problem with my setup or something related to a change in 11.1 that breaks NZBGet.

I upgraded last night and NZBGet (19.1-r2031) won't start for more than a few seconds. It was crashing immediately ("sh: segmentation fault (core dumped)") when loading the queue, so I deleted the queue and the intermediate directory and tried again. This time it was stable until I went to log onto the web interface, at which point it immediately seg faulted again. The browser window shows a partially loaded home page (just text, no buttons or UI) with the following error:

Code: Select all

Error in http://<my-domain-name>:6789/index.js (line 346)

TypeError: FilterMenu.setTab is not a function
I reinstalled a fresh copy of 19.1-r2031 into a new directory and had the same issue. I then tried 19.1-release and have the same issue.

Anyone experiencing anything similar? All my other programs seem to be working fine after the upgrade.

displaced

Re: Segmentation Fault after upgrading to FreeBSD 11.1?

Post by displaced » 28 Jul 2017, 20:57

Hi,

I'm seeing the exact same behaviour here.

I tried cloning the source from github and doing my own compile. No joy. The ./configure step worked fine, but the 'make' failed to compile with an unhelpful 'Error 1'.

I'm now installing the version provided in FreeBSD's ports tree. There's a binary version in the pkg repository is a bit older than that in ports.

I'll update with how that goes -- it's still compiling at the moment.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Jul 2017, 21:02

Please post the output of both "configure" and "make".

displaced

Post by displaced » 28 Jul 2017, 21:07

Ok -- that worked.

I had to move my hand-made rc.d script out of the way in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ first, since the compilation creates a new one.

My nzbget_* config settings in /etc/rc.conf appear to be respected, so it's using the same configuration file and user settings that I had before.

It's not ideal, as I prefer to run from the NZBGet-provided installer, but it'll do for now!

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Jul 2017, 21:18

We can try to debug the installer version. Please download the debug version from github releases area. Activate option CrashTrace and check if the call stack trace is printed into log-file. I don't know if that works on FreeBSD.

Then try to create a crash dump as described in http://nzbget.net/crash-dump. Again, I don't know if that would work on FreeBSD as I did this on Linux only.

displaced

Post by displaced » 28 Jul 2017, 21:31

hugbug wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 21:18
We can try to debug the installer version. Please download the debug version from github releases area. Activate option CrashTrace and check if the call stack trace is printed into log-file. I don't know if that works on FreeBSD.

Then try to create a crash dump as described in http://nzbget.net/crash-dump. Again, I don't know if that would work on FreeBSD as I did this on Linux only.
Thanks, hugbug.

I'm just retrying the compile from a github clone. I have a feeling I might not have had the environment set up correctly for the build.

I've consulted the FreeBSD Ports makefile at https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/n ... iew=markup to make sure I have the proper environment variables and config-script options and am re-running make as I type. I strongly suspect the fact that I didn't have CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS set prevented it from compiling.

D'oh! no luck -- the build just failed in the same way. Gimme a sec, I'll paste it into a file and attach, then try the steps you've provided to debug the installer version!

EDIT: One more try - this time ensuring -std=c++14 and using gmake instead of make...

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Jul 2017, 21:41

displaced

Post by displaced » 28 Jul 2017, 21:47

No joy!

Attached is the config and gmake outputs.

The config output starts with me printing the relevant env var values.
Attachments
gmake output.txt
(46.49 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
config output.txt
(5.34 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

displaced

Post by displaced » 28 Jul 2017, 21:53

hugbug wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 21:41
Are you following https://nzbget.net/installation-on-posix?
I did go through that, but I think I want to fire up a VM to investigate further -- don't want to mess about too much on my live machine!

In the meantime, I have a core dump from an earlier crash. Is it safe to attach here (e.g., will it contain usernames/passwords etc)?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Jul 2017, 21:59

Core dumps contain passwords, don't post them in public but send to nzbget@gmail.com.
The old dumps are probably from release build, not that useful then.