Segmentation Fault after upgrading to FreeBSD 11.1?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
bullydog

Segmentation Fault after upgrading to FreeBSD 11.1?

Post by bullydog » 26 Jul 2017, 19:32

Has anyone else experienced a segmentation fault with NZBGet after upgrade to FreeBSD 11.1? Trying to figure out if it's a problem with my setup or something related to a change in 11.1 that breaks NZBGet.

I upgraded last night and NZBGet (19.1-r2031) won't start for more than a few seconds. It was crashing immediately ("sh: segmentation fault (core dumped)") when loading the queue, so I deleted the queue and the intermediate directory and tried again. This time it was stable until I went to log onto the web interface, at which point it immediately seg faulted again. The browser window shows a partially loaded home page (just text, no buttons or UI) with the following error:

Code: Select all

Error in http://<my-domain-name>:6789/index.js (line 346)

TypeError: FilterMenu.setTab is not a function
I reinstalled a fresh copy of 19.1-r2031 into a new directory and had the same issue. I then tried 19.1-release and have the same issue.

Anyone experiencing anything similar? All my other programs seem to be working fine after the upgrade.

displaced

Re: Segmentation Fault after upgrading to FreeBSD 11.1?

Post by displaced » 28 Jul 2017, 20:57

Hi,

I'm seeing the exact same behaviour here.

I tried cloning the source from github and doing my own compile. No joy. The ./configure step worked fine, but the 'make' failed to compile with an unhelpful 'Error 1'.

I'm now installing the version provided in FreeBSD's ports tree. There's a binary version in the pkg repository is a bit older than that in ports.

I'll update with how that goes -- it's still compiling at the moment.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Jul 2017, 21:02

Please post the output of both "configure" and "make".

displaced

Post by displaced » 28 Jul 2017, 21:07

Ok -- that worked.

I had to move my hand-made rc.d script out of the way in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ first, since the compilation creates a new one.

My nzbget_* config settings in /etc/rc.conf appear to be respected, so it's using the same configuration file and user settings that I had before.

It's not ideal, as I prefer to run from the NZBGet-provided installer, but it'll do for now!

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Jul 2017, 21:18

We can try to debug the installer version. Please download the debug version from github releases area. Activate option CrashTrace and check if the call stack trace is printed into log-file. I don't know if that works on FreeBSD.

Then try to create a crash dump as described in http://nzbget.net/crash-dump. Again, I don't know if that would work on FreeBSD as I did this on Linux only.

displaced

Post by displaced » 28 Jul 2017, 21:31

hugbug wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 21:18
We can try to debug the installer version. Please download the debug version from github releases area. Activate option CrashTrace and check if the call stack trace is printed into log-file. I don't know if that works on FreeBSD.

Then try to create a crash dump as described in http://nzbget.net/crash-dump. Again, I don't know if that would work on FreeBSD as I did this on Linux only.
Thanks, hugbug.

I'm just retrying the compile from a github clone. I have a feeling I might not have had the environment set up correctly for the build.

I've consulted the FreeBSD Ports makefile at https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/n ... iew=markup to make sure I have the proper environment variables and config-script options and am re-running make as I type. I strongly suspect the fact that I didn't have CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS set prevented it from compiling.

D'oh! no luck -- the build just failed in the same way. Gimme a sec, I'll paste it into a file and attach, then try the steps you've provided to debug the installer version!

EDIT: One more try - this time ensuring -std=c++14 and using gmake instead of make...

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Jul 2017, 21:41

displaced

Post by displaced » 28 Jul 2017, 21:47

No joy!

Attached is the config and gmake outputs.

The config output starts with me printing the relevant env var values.
Attachments
gmake output.txt
(46.49 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
config output.txt
(5.34 KiB) Downloaded 291 times

displaced

Post by displaced » 28 Jul 2017, 21:53

hugbug wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 21:41
Are you following https://nzbget.net/installation-on-posix?
I did go through that, but I think I want to fire up a VM to investigate further -- don't want to mess about too much on my live machine!

In the meantime, I have a core dump from an earlier crash. Is it safe to attach here (e.g., will it contain usernames/passwords etc)?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Jul 2017, 21:59

Core dumps contain passwords, don't post them in public but send to nzbget@gmail.com.
The old dumps are probably from release build, not that useful then.