NZBget for Synology

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
spikemixture

NZBget for Synology

Post by spikemixture » 15 Oct 2017, 05:22

Greetings,

It appears the guy developing NZBget for Synology has given up / to busy/ not appreciated /whatever - is no longer!

Has any one taken up the baton or can point me where to get 19.1 for a synology 1817+

cheers :D

SM

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: NZBget for Synology

Post by hugbug » 15 Oct 2017, 05:45

Use official installer for Linux.
Click link "Download" at the top of this page and scroll to "Linux" for installer and manual.

notanotherforumname

Post by notanotherforumname » 20 Oct 2017, 16:35

hugbug wrote:
15 Oct 2017, 05:45
Click link "Download" at the top of this page and scroll to "Linux" for installer and manual.
Synology DSM requires a .spk. There is no .spk on the Linux download page as far as I can see...

The only way to install NZBGet is with Docker.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 20 Oct 2017, 17:05

notanotherforumname wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 16:35
That is incorrect statement.
There is no .spk on the Linux download page as far as I can see...
There is installer for Linux and there is manual for Linux. I can assure you they both apply to Synology just like to any other Linux system.

notanotherforumname

Post by notanotherforumname » 21 Oct 2017, 05:44

hugbug wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 17:05
That is incorrect statement.
There is no .spk on the Linux download page as far as I can see...
There is installer for Linux and there is manual for Linux. I can assure you they both apply to Synology just like to any other Linux system.
You are incorrect and correct. I should have clarified that for the latest X18 Synology models, the only way to install is with Docker as the dev responsible for the SynCommunity repo hasn't updated the package to support these models yet. Actually he hasn't updated it in a long time. That's why everyone just uses Docker. More up to date and reliable.

As for the Linux download, unless the user knows how to compile your download (e.g. the source tar) to .spk, there is no download on your website that will work on DSM out of the box like e.g. the .exe works on Windows.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 21 Oct 2017, 09:09

21 Oct 2017, 05:44
there is no download on your website that will work on DSM out of the box
Why don't you finally click on that manual-link and read how to install nzbget in five minutes? I can repeat:
hugbug wrote:
Even if you heard before that "only .SPK can be installed on synology", that's not true. The Linux installer which I provide works on Synology just like on every other Linux system. Yet you continue to argue without trying it. You could at least read the installation manual to see that no compiling is necessary.

notanotherforumname

Post by notanotherforumname » 22 Oct 2017, 04:41

hugbug wrote:
21 Oct 2017, 09:09
21 Oct 2017, 05:44
there is no download on your website that will work on DSM out of the box
Why don't you finally click on that manual-link and read how to install nzbget in five minutes? I can repeat:
hugbug wrote:
Even if you heard before that "only .SPK can be installed on synology", that's not true. The Linux installer which I provide works on Synology just like on every other Linux system. Yet you continue to argue without trying it. You could at least read the installation manual to see that no compiling is necessary.
Without being glib. No where in your manual does it show the user how to install on a Synology system out of the box. It assumes only a generic Linux install. You continue to conflate this as a generic Linux ISO as if its sufficient to install from scratch on Synology DSM and therefore misinterpret what i'm saying. For Synology you at the very least would need to tell the user they'll need activate SSH and use a 3rd party tool like PuTTY to actually navigate to the appropriate folder and execute those commands.

Besides, I would have thought you would have wanted as wide adoption as possible for your software. With that attitude and lack of clarity in your so called 'manual', that clearly isn't the case. If on the other you actually do want NZBGet to be more popular, then do the logical thing and provide a .spk download like e.g. Plex does.

Don't get me wrong, I know you provide this software for free so probably don't have the resources that Plex does. So I appreciate that. I just think that you shouldn't be so dismissive about providing a .spk (considering how popular Synology is as a platform for this kind of software) and overhaul the 'manual'. If I provided instructions like that to my clients, i'd lose them as clients the next day.

Maybe you should setup a Patreon if you require additional funding?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 22 Oct 2017, 05:43

You were spreading incorrect information which wouldn't help topic starter or other users who may find this topic in the future.

If you can provide a hint about how to connect to Synology's terminal that info might be helpful. Although I don't see topic starter or others requesting assistance in this regard.

Edsenn

Post by Edsenn » 16 Nov 2017, 11:00

I also have a Synology and many of my friends and coworkers do.
Like me, i think many users do not know there are newer Nzbget versions out, be course they are not shown in de Synology repository (3d party packages).
There are lots of third party packages for Synology and they are easy to install without much Linux knowledge.
I do not have no real knowledge of Linux, for these reasons i choose a Synology nas

Nzbget was always available in the Syno Community Repository.
You will do much users a favor if you add the newer versions of Nzbget there!

rxp

Post by rxp » 16 Nov 2017, 12:31

Been meaning to install NZBGet on my parents Synology for a long time but could never get the community repo to work.

Followed the manual and it worked pretty easy.

Just make sure you enable SSH in the Synology settings (Ctrl F SSH it'll take you there). Also the directory structure in terminal is a bit unfamiliar to me so took a while to get the commands listed working. But all installed and now I can update easily within the webinterface.

Edit - Can't seem to get the boot script working though. Whenever I input the run command (nzbget/nzbget -D) I get an error saying my command is invalid.