NZBGet always hangs, and I don't understand why

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
rsw

NZBGet always hangs, and I don't understand why

Post by rsw » 11 Nov 2017, 13:02

Running NZBGet 19.1 on Windows 10 64-bit (1709). It's been working perfectly for about 7 months.

Recently though my nzbget have started hanging. Sometimes it happens after 5 minutes, sometimes after 15. The way I notice is that all download speeds and timers just freeze. Trying to reload the web interface just causes the browser to spin and time out.

Sometimes when this happens, the process nzbget.exe crashes and shuts down, but most of the time I have to kill the process, relaunch nzbget and keep downloading until it crashes again.

When the freeze happens, nothing is written to the nzbget log (having turned on all logging). The last line written is:

Code: Select all

Sat Nov 11 13:46:25 2017	DETAIL	Successfully downloaded myfile.rar [29/160]
Right-clicking the NZBGet tray icon, going to Troubleshooting and trying to open the config file location causes this error when it's frozen:

Restarting the app makes the tray icon able to open the location, until it hangs again.

Windows event viewer doesn't say much except throws this appcrash:

Code: Select all

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: nzbget.exe
P2: 0.0.0.0
P3: 59611464
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 10.0.16299.15
P6: ac8afc81
P7: c0000005
P8: 0004f401
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERC51E.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_nzbget.exe_ebeb2af50573aa16e63bfbefbf564a8a7f67c_a8ebb032_0b48b262

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: b5c92c3a-5d48-485c-ab80-a59fe43cd18d
Report Status: 100
Hashed bucket: 
Things I've tried without sucess:
* Reinstalling NZBGet
* Removing my tmp and queue folders and let nzbget recreate them (found in a reddit thread)
* Allowing nzbget.exe in my antivirus and windows firewall

I'm running out of ideas. Any hints?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: NZBGet always hangs, and I don't understand why

Post by hugbug » 11 Nov 2017, 16:07

Article https://nzbget.net/crash-dump describes how to obtain a memory dump on program crash. Please follow the instructions. In your case it doesn't crash but it's possible to save a memory dump of a running program any time via context menu of task manager. When the program hangs next time use this possibility and send me the dump. From the dump I can analyse where it hangs.

rsw

Post by rsw » 11 Nov 2017, 18:23

hugbug wrote:
11 Nov 2017, 16:07
Article https://nzbget.net/crash-dump describes how to obtain a memory dump on program crash. Please follow the instructions. In your case it doesn't crash but it's possible to save a memory dump of a running program any time via context menu of task manager. When the program hangs next time use this possibility and send me the dump. From the dump I can analyse where it hangs.
Thank you, I've sent a PM with a dump.

mattgphoto

Post by mattgphoto » 06 Dec 2017, 03:09

I'm going to chime in on this thread as I see the exact same thing, I literally can't kill the process, and it basically forces me to restart, which just... doesn't. I have to press the reset button on my pc, then everything works and downloads for a while... then hangs. I'll follow the instructions to try to get a memory dump when this happens again and post more details (versions, screenshots, etc). Glad I found this thread!

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 06 Dec 2017, 07:36

@mattgphoto
NZBGet is a user space app. If you whole system hangs or you can't kill nzbget process it looks more like a hardware problem or a software system problem (drivers etc.).