NZBGet Android - External SD Card

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
rxp

NZBGet Android - External SD Card

Post by rxp » 16 Nov 2017, 06:49

Just got NZBGet working on my s8. First time I've got it to work so very happy. Even Direct Unpack works like a breeze! I've got it setup with NZB360 and you can send files you browse directly to the NZBGet instance on your phone.

How do I get the working directory changed to an external SD Card? When I look up the path in ES File Explorer I get

Code: Select all

/storage/3537-3131/Nzbget
However, NZBGet cannot write there. The default path works fine (/storage/emulated/0/data/nzbget) and that's the same path reported by ES File Explorer for that location.

Anyone got it working?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: NZBGet Android - External SD Card

Post by hugbug » 16 Nov 2017, 09:48

Installer configures MainDir to "/sdcard/data/nzbget". Isn't that sd-card already? I guess it's not on your system.

Try Total Commander. It seems to show internal paths correctly.

You can also install Terminal Emulator for Android and explore filesystem with "df", "cd" and "ls" commands.

rxp

Post by rxp » 16 Nov 2017, 10:49

It's the "internal" SD card on the Samsung, rather than the external one you slot in. I'll try Total Commander.

I can't believe even directunpack works. I'm testing it out now and downloading a file while streaming it in VLC. MXPlayer doesn't like broken files but VLC worked a treat!

Edit - TotalCommander reported the same path as ES File Explorer. I know from using ES File Explorer when you want to write to the external SD card it asks you to select the root and give it permission via an android dialogue. I believe that in one of the previous updates to Android it changed how permissions were granted for writing to an external SD. For example see this - https://metactrl.com/docs/sdcard-on-lollipop/

Could you please put it as a feature request?

v20agent

Post by v20agent » 04 Jan 2018, 20:26

has anyone figured this out?
im using the same exact setup. I would like to write to external SD card.

v20agent

Post by v20agent » 04 Jan 2018, 22:07

actually i think the NZBGet App has to be coded to allow External SD card writes...If i read this correctly for example(i could be wrong).

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/428 ... -android-7

Dodgexander

Post by Dodgexander » 10 Jun 2018, 03:47

NZBget is useless for Android right now unless you use internal storage.

Android protects apps from writing to an external SD card (or internal HDD in the case of an Android box). There is one location the app can save data to there hidden in data/apps/name of package but it's useless for NZBget as it runs as a service rather than an app.

So when you try to write to an external source, even with right paths NZBget errors out.

Only solution I can think of is use another app to mount external storage to an internal storage folder. Which Android is supposed to do anyway but yet security and permissions stop NZBget Daemon from writing to it.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 11 Jun 2018, 07:18

Currently this issue is discussed in two threads. Please use thread Android installer for further replies.