Downloading Headers question

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
blueribb

Downloading Headers question

Post by blueribb » 29 Nov 2017, 14:55

I used "newsgroups" about 20 years ago before it was called Usenet. I'm pretty sure I know what "downloading headers" means. The headers contains information about what's in the newsgroups (text only), right ?

Well, fast forward to Nov 2017. I decided to abandon torrents and shift to Usenet since signing up for gigabit internet. I use NewsDemon, NZBGet and Sonarr. I no longer use "newsgroups" at all and don't have a newsreader.

My question: During the BF Sale, Usenet Express offered a 500GB block for $5 and I grabbed one. I set it up with NZBGet as Server #2 (level 0). My main server is NewsDemon (Server #1). On Nov 27th, there was an 11GB download from the Usenet Express server and then 2 more downloads over the next 2 days according to my UsenetExpress Control Panel (Bytes History). These downloads were not registered in either NZBGet or Sonarr. I just disabled Usenet Express (in NZBGet) and will see if the mysterious downloading continues. I contacted Usenet Express about this activity on my account and they asked if I download headers ? Ummmmm - NO, not as far as I know. I ONLY use Sonarr to schedule downloads and these are recorded in both Sonarr and NZBGet. The sizes are much smaller than what Usenet Express' control panel shows.

Suggestions ?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Downloading Headers question

Post by hugbug » 29 Nov 2017, 18:37

Servers on Level 0 are used first. If you have multiple servers on level 0 they are used all simultaneously. Server numbers don't have any special meaning.

You can check downloaded volume statistics per server via click on remaining time near main round button, then on "Total downloaded".

blueribb

Re: Downloading Headers question

Post by blueribb » 29 Nov 2017, 19:00

Thanks. I wasn't aware that both servers (set to level 0) were being used simultaneously. That makes sense.

If I set the 2nd Server to level 1, would it only be accessed when the main server fails to respond for any reason ?

Last question: Are NewsDemon and UsenetExpress on different backbones ?