Log Files - How Do You Make 300MB Text Files Useful?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
CoffinCowboy

Log Files - How Do You Make 300MB Text Files Useful?

Post by CoffinCowboy » 29 Jan 2018, 13:42

Log files are always helpful when diagnosing issues, but NZBGet's log files are so insanely enormous, that they bog down any text editor I open them with, and parsing through information is nearly impossible, even with ctrl+f.

Under the logging settings, I have WriteLog set to Rotate and RotateLog set to 5 days. Am I missing any other setting that would reduce the size of these logs? Or does anyone have any tips/tricks to navigating through NZBGet's log files?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Log Files - How Do You Make 300MB Text Files Useful?

Post by hugbug » 29 Jan 2018, 13:58

300 MB log per day? Either you use a debug build of nzbget (in which case the more is logged the better) or you download terabytes per day (in which case there is a lot to log as well).

Under normal circumstances the log should not exceed a couple of megabytes.

Anyway the global log-file is for troubleshooting. What issue do you have?

There are logs per-nzb accessible via webui -> history -> click on an item -> button "Log". These logs are very moderate in size.

If you still want to inspect the large global log - on Windows I use Large Text File Viewer.

CoffinCowboy

Post by CoffinCowboy » 29 Jan 2018, 14:32

I download probably 100-200 GBs per day, on average. I'll give the per-nzb approach a shot. That's probably way more useful for my case anyhow, thanks.

I have symmetrical fiber internet at home, but my connections to usenet providers are maxing out at around 18MB/s, so I've been trying to identify which providers are being used by each NZB, so that I can tinker with the settings of each provider. Sounds like the per NZB log file would be best for this anyhow.

The log files I was attempting to open were located in /opt/nzbget/downloads (on Ubuntu 16.04).

Here's my logging settings, if you see anything of note. I'm running the Stable 19.1 version.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 29 Jan 2018, 15:04

I've been trying to identify which providers are being used by each NZB
Try: history -> click on nzb -> Articles (total/completion). It prints something like http://i.imgur.com/IWomon1.jpg.

For each nzbget release there is optimized and debug binaries; the latter produce a lot more logging. If you have "DEBUG" messages in the log you have debug build (which you normally shouldn't use).