Resource Hog ?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
Post Reply
blueribb
Posts: 20
Joined: 30 Aug 2017, 21:25

Resource Hog ?

Post by blueribb » 20 Feb 2018, 20:33

My setup:

NZBGet 20.0-testing-r2147
Sonarr 2.0.0.5085
Dell i5 Desktop (i5-4440), 8gb RAM, Windows 10
Verizon gigabit internet

When I instruct Sonarr to download an entire season of any TV Series, NZBGet starts to download & process files in queue. During this time (up to 1 hour), I cannot use my computer for other tasks. Internet and even desktop apps are slower than a snail in molasses. I haven't looked in Task Manager to see the % being used by NZBGet or Sonarr, but I will next time. Is there a setting to allow multi-tasking during NZBGet use ?

hugbug
Developer & Admin
Posts: 6852
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 11:58
Location: Germany (NRW)

Re: Resource Hog ?

Post by hugbug » 20 Feb 2018, 21:33

blueribb wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 20:33
desktop apps are slower than a snail in molasses
This shouldn't happen. Even on a slow computer with full CPU usage by NZBGet the system must remain responsive. There are many settings in NZBGet affecting performance but they have an effect on achievable download speed.

What you describe indicates a serious problem with your system. If that didn't happen before maybe your disk is dying. Also Antivirus can slow down the system a lot, especially on high download speed when a lot of data is written into disk.

blueribb
Posts: 20
Joined: 30 Aug 2017, 21:25

Re: Resource Hog ?

Post by blueribb » 20 Feb 2018, 22:10

My download speeds using NZBGet have been pretty good. They average 100 MB/s. File processing often takes longer than the download. I'm a retired computer tech and I'm pretty sure my hard drive is not failing. I use Microsoft's Windows Defender to run a quick anti-virus scan once a day, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I will pay attention to Windows Task Manager the next time I do a series download.

hugbug
Developer & Admin
Posts: 6852
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 11:58
Location: Germany (NRW)

Re: Resource Hog ?

Post by hugbug » 20 Feb 2018, 23:10

Also monitor memory in Task Manager. When low on RAM the system can slow down considerably due to swap usage.

blueribb
Posts: 20
Joined: 30 Aug 2017, 21:25

Re: Resource Hog ?

Post by blueribb » 26 Feb 2018, 03:52

During NZBGet post-processing tonight, I managed to check the Task Manager. Memory was 36% but Disk Usage was 99%. As soon as NZBGet finished processing, the Disk Usage dropped to 1%. I ordered more memory and will install another 8GB this Wednesday. In the meantime I have to schedule a disk check (at boot) when I get a chance to make sure the Hard Drive is not failing. I have never seen the Disk Usage register 99% before, so I wonder why NZBGet has this effect ?

I must say I was having trouble with NZBGet starting with windows. I configured it as a Windows Service (Automatic Start) but I was still having intermittent start problems, so I also checked the "start at login" box (right-click on taskbar arrow and choose preferences). Then I got a pop-up when starting windows (first time tonight) that said "NZBGet is already running. Another instance of NZBGet is running as Windows Service." I ran services.msc and switched Startup Type from Automatic to Manual. Then I rebooted and NZBGet started with windows with no "already running" pop-up.

cestlebon
Posts: 16
Joined: 11 Apr 2017, 20:01

Re: Resource Hog ?

Post by cestlebon » 26 Feb 2018, 10:04

I guess that the 99% is the PAR process at work (repairing the downloads). I think it's quite easy to create a full load to the harddisk as they're relatively slow (and nzbget is very fast!).

This can be a problem in your case because you're using a desktop and want to do some other things as well at the same time. As far as I know, there's no way to prioritize harddisk access (like whats possible with a cpu) so maybe you could move the nzbget folders to a harddisk which isn't also used for your OS?

You can also try to slow down the repair process from within nzbget itself but I wouldn't expect a significant change. And next to the par/repair process the unpack will also create a load on your harddisks.

Take a look at the check and repair settings page and try to increase the buffer memory a bit. You can also change the par threads setting from 0 to 1.

blueribb
Posts: 20
Joined: 30 Aug 2017, 21:25

Re: Resource Hog ?

Post by blueribb » 26 Feb 2018, 13:38

cestlebon wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 10:04
I guess that the 99% is the PAR process at work (repairing the downloads). I think it's quite easy to create a full load to the harddisk as they're relatively slow (and nzbget is very fast!).

This can be a problem in your case because you're using a desktop and want to do some other things as well at the same time. As far as I know, there's no way to prioritize harddisk access (like whats possible with a cpu) so maybe you could move the nzbget folders to a harddisk which isn't also used for your OS?

You can also try to slow down the repair process from within nzbget itself but I wouldn't expect a significant change. And next to the par/repair process the unpack will also create a load on your harddisks.

Take a look at the check and repair settings page and try to increase the buffer memory a bit. You can also change the par threads setting from 0 to 1.
Thanks for the reply. I use a 1Tb 7200 RPM Mechanical HD for my OS (& to run NZBGet) and a 4Tb Mechanical HD for storage. Would upgrading to an SSD primary drive stop the HD bottleneck ?

hugbug
Developer & Admin
Posts: 6852
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 11:58
Location: Germany (NRW)

Re: Resource Hog ?

Post by hugbug » 26 Feb 2018, 15:47

blueribb wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 22:10
My download speeds using NZBGet have been pretty good. They average 100 MB/s.
100MB/s is pretty much the max speed which conventional HDDs can offer. You can try limiting download speed in nzbget to reduce load on disk system (if you don't mind increasing download time). That should help if high CPU load is during downloading (not during post-processing).

cestlebon
Posts: 16
Joined: 11 Apr 2017, 20:01

Re: Resource Hog ?

Post by cestlebon » 27 Feb 2018, 10:22

blueribb wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 13:38
Thanks for the reply. I use a 1Tb 7200 RPM Mechanical HD for my OS (& to run NZBGet) and a 4Tb Mechanical HD for storage. Would upgrading to an SSD primary drive stop the HD bottleneck ?
Of course upgrading to a SSD will make your OS a lot faster. However, if you can just move the NZBGET related IO to the HDD without the OS it shouldn't bother you as much.

Please note that NZBGET isn't a resource hog as it runs fine on small computers (NAS). However, it's just that the tasks that need to be done require a lot of IO.

blueribb
Posts: 20
Joined: 30 Aug 2017, 21:25

Re: Resource Hog ?

Post by blueribb » 02 Mar 2018, 19:03

I installed another 8GB of RAM and a new Samsung 500GB SSD to replace my OS Hard Drive. I have only downloaded a few files with NZBGet but the difference is quite noticeable. I can now multitask when NZBGet is doing it's thing.

I didn't want to move NZBGet to my slow storage drive, since it would bottleneck that drive even more, making the entire process much slower and longer.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], barenaked and 4 guests