Increasing "Rocket" from 6 to X

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
suspense

Increasing "Rocket" from 6 to X

Post by suspense » 07 May 2018, 14:36

Hi guys,

Is there any way to define the number that "Rocket" represents for post process strategy? Rocket currently sets to 6, but i would like to increase this number.

I run a beafy cpu, and i re-encode a lot of audio after download, ffmpeg wont utilize all cpu during audio encode, so im looking at around 10% cpu per ffmpeg process encoding audio, i would like to be able to max out my cpu during this process which would require me to spawn more than 6 processes.

Can this be done?

Regards

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Increasing "Rocket" from 6 to X

Post by hugbug » 07 May 2018, 18:12

Six post-processing jobs at once is already a lot. I don't like the idea of increasing the limit.

Audio downloads typically contain multiple audio files. In that case you could try making your script to encode multiple files simultaneously by spawning multiple instances of encoder.

suspense

Post by suspense » 07 May 2018, 18:35

We are talking about video files here, where i re-encode the audio tracks.

I use sickbeardmp4converter, which runs in nzbget, with rocket i can run just 6 conversion jobs at once which when only converting audio is not a lot as its not very cpu intensive.

The script relies on nzbget to push a convertion job, and nzbget is limited by the post process strategy, therefore it is not possible for me to push the script to do more then 6 jobs at once outside of NZBget, or reports between nzbget and sonarr wouldnt work, and the whole purpose of the script crumbles.

Is it not possible to allow us to enter a value instead of a prefixed value? This way people can do pick and choose?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 09 May 2018, 09:21

PostStrategy controls three values:
  • total number of simultaneous post-processing jobs;
  • max number of simultaneous par-repair-jobs;
  • max number of simultaneous non-par-repair-jobs.

These numbers are defined as:
  • sequential=1,1,1
  • balanced=2,1,1
  • aggressive=3,1,3
  • rocket=6,2,6.

When the multi post-processing was implemented there were thoughts that it would be difficult for users to decide which values they should use. Therefore instead of offering three numeric options only one option which defines three others was invented.

It wouldn't be good to replace existing PostStrategy with three new options. It's also not good to provide them all at the same time. I need to think more about how to solve the dilemma.

I also think that increasing the limits isn't a proper solution for you. You need to define number of simultaneous post-processing scripts but PostStrategy doesn't do that at the moment; it defines number of post-processing jobs whereas not every job is a script. In particular with "rocket" you may have six unpack jobs at the same time. That's probably not what you need, right? Increasing the limit to 10 would be even worse.

It seems there is a need for separate limiting of number of simultaneous post-processing scripts. Hmm.