I'm getting numerous PAR: FAILURE errors.

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
ChapeL

I'm getting numerous PAR: FAILURE errors.

Post by ChapeL » 19 Jun 2018, 16:39

Hi All,

I need some help as I can't figure out whats going on. I'm getting a lot of PAR errors on some of my downloads, tried different settings ParCheck; ParScan; ParQuick etc with no luck. I can repair the files using MultiPar on my Windows computer and if I run Post-process again it works with no issues. I'm running NZBGet 20 in docker on unraid. Any idea what's going on?

Please see the attachments for details, Thanks.

https://pastebin.com/6n4MXPza
Attachments
2018-06-19 15_29_03-Window.png
2018-06-19 16_32_58-MultiPar - Succeeded - _b3811dd8c395bf62c67406ab9b5e6e4f_.png

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: I'm getting numerous PAR: FAILURE errors.

Post by hugbug » 20 Jun 2018, 07:16

ChapeL wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 16:39
Please see the attachments for details, Thanks.
https://pastebin.com/6n4MXPza
The log of this particular nzb has:
ERROR Repair failed for XXX: repair completed but the data files still appear to be damaged. Recovery files created by: ParPar v0.2.2
The important part here is Recovery files created by: ParPar v0.2.2. There is (or was) a known bug in ParPar, which resulted in repair failures with exact same message "repair completed but the data files still appear to be damaged". See issue #9 on ParPar tracker, also discussed here on forum. The bug appeared only when compiling ParPar from github repository source; ParPar from releases area of GitHub don't have the bug; however both have the same version number (v0.2.2) and therefore not distinguishable.

Interesting however is that in your case the files are correctly repaired despite the fact that the after-repair-check fails. A verification made after repair shows that files were repaired correctly. However NZBGet int't doing second verification for all files if the verification after repair fails - normally that would be a huge waste of time and normally would also always fail.

Please check all failed downloads if their par2-files were created with ParPar v0.2.2 - search the log of each download for "ParPar".

ChapeL

Post by ChapeL » 23 Jun 2018, 21:25

Thanks, after some investigating it looks like the problem is exactly as you describe, ParPar is to blame then. I guess I'll just have to repair them using Multipar and run post-process again, not a big deal was just wandering if it's something I've done with my configuration that caused this. I have another problem with nzbget hanging on unpack, there is no progress it just hangs there until I reset it but that's something I'll try to find a solution to on forums. Thank you again for your help.

ChapeL

Post by ChapeL » 28 Jun 2018, 08:52

hugbug wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 07:16
Please check all failed downloads if their par2-files were created with ParPar v0.2.2 - search the log of each download for "ParPar".
Spoke to soon, this one is par2command and still fails the same way plus it hang on unpack, any idea what else could cause this behaviour?

https://pastebin.com/qnyR7iS6

01:07:51 stuck on unpacking, had to stop and run post-process again

17:32:55 It says: Repair not needed
17:36:05 Cancelling unpack due to errors

Then it fails par until I run Multipar on my pc and post-process again in NZBGet.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Jun 2018, 10:53

Strange things in the last log:
  • it stucks on first unpack attempt and not output from unrar was received as if unrar failed to start at all;
  • during first par-check the quick par-check succeeded and stated no repair was necessary. That means the checksums calculated during downloading match checksums from par2-files; Therefore the downloaded files were OK;
  • however then the second unpack attempt failed with unrar reporting "packed data checksum error in volume";
  • second par-check was performed, this time it was full parcheck where all downloaded files were read from disk and checksums were calculated. Many files were damaged;
  • a repair attempt was made which failed with "repair completed but the data files still appear to be damaged.".

This looks like the files get corrupted when they are written into disk. Do you have a chance to use other disk for further tests (at least for InterDir)?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 28 Jun 2018, 11:20

There is another user reporting similar problem. Please check tracker issue #558.

ChapeL

Post by ChapeL » 28 Jun 2018, 15:45

hugbug wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 11:20
There is another user reporting similar problem. Please check tracker issue #558.
Thank you for super fast response!

You are right, woble and me use exactly same setup, unraid and binhex-nzbget. I'm on their newest docker image and unraid version 6.5.0. As far I remember this problem was happening before but not as often as now. Maybe I should try and ask on their forums as it looks like it's docker related problem. I'll try to use another docker from linuxserver as they are very reliable in my opinion if that doesnt help I'll dig out my server and see if I can add another drive for InterDir and report back.

ChapeL

Post by ChapeL » 04 Jul 2018, 16:10

hugbug wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 11:20
I'm 99% certain that binhex-nzbget docker was to blame, since I've started using linuxserver docer I have downloaded 10+ items and all of them repaired or/and unpacked properly, even the ParPar ones.

https://pastebin.com/pdDpV0sT

Thank You again for your help, in case (hope not) I'm still having problems I'll post again. I'm still looking into adding another drive for my nzgbet activity as I'm using an SSD at the moment, maybe that's to many writes to it to have it running like this long term.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 04 Jul 2018, 19:13

The last log, I'm afraid it shows the problem still exists - quick par-check reports all files are OK, yet unrar fails and the second par-check (full par-check this time) finds corrupted files.
This discrepancy between quick and full par-check means the files get corrupted after they were written (or during).

Please keep us posted for a while, even if it works OK.

ChapeL

Post by ChapeL » 05 Jul 2018, 18:55

hugbug wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 19:13
The last log, I'm afraid it shows the problem still exists - quick par-check reports all files are OK, yet unrar fails and the second par-check (full par-check this time) finds corrupted files.
This discrepancy between quick and full par-check means the files get corrupted after they were written (or during).

Please keep us posted for a while, even if it works OK.
Yes, I think I'm slowly killing my SSD drive, made a mistake of using SSD for downloading/repairing/unpacking. Will try to swap that drive for regular HDD and see what's happening. Have no more space to add another drive just for that, will have to look into changing/expanding my server.

Thanks