New Machine for NZBget - Best Specs?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
mfranzel

New Machine for NZBget - Best Specs?

Post by mfranzel » 03 Aug 2018, 00:58

Hello all,
I want to setup a new machine specifically dedicated to NZBget... mostly so I can download and decode/unpack at the fastest speeds.

I have symmetrical 1gig fiber internet so I download a lot faster than I can unpack.

I want to build or purchase a new system that will unpack the NZB files as quickly as possible. I am assuming I need a beefed up CPU and lots of RAM? What about GPU?

What do you all recommend for the fastest performance possible?

Thanks!!!

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: New Machine for NZBget - Best Specs?

Post by hugbug » 03 Aug 2018, 01:32

A CPU with support for AES. For NZBGet max. 2GB RAM (not counting what OS or other programs require). An SSD for InterDir.

Unpack is usually limited by disk speed. The faster the destination disk (DestDir) is the better. Destination disk should be on the same computer, not on network. The disk should not use software RAID as they are slow.

GPU doesn't matter.

rxp

Post by rxp » 03 Aug 2018, 05:52

Hugbug - shouldn't the InterDir be on the same location as the unpack location when you're using direct unpack?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 03 Aug 2018, 07:04

For best unpack performance InterDir and DestDir should be on different physical drives. Direct unpack or not doesn't matter. Unpack works in the same way - unrar reads rar-files and creates new files. Therefore rar-files and extracted files should not be on the same disk.

sanderj

Post by sanderj » 05 Aug 2018, 14:03

hugbug wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 07:04
For best unpack performance InterDir and DestDir should be on different physical drives.
Is that still relevant if you use one SSD for all? A SSD has a high speed interfaces (500 MB/s or 2000 MB/s, so much higher than the max download speed of 1Gbps = 100 MB/s), and has no access nor seek time.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 05 Aug 2018, 14:13

One SSD for both InterDir and DestDir is OK although it's not typical since most users build collections and that require a lot of disk space and therefore is usually on hard drives.