Out of control process on Mac

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
BradInToronto

Out of control process on Mac

Post by BradInToronto » 07 Oct 2019, 18:21

Running 21.0 on an iMac Pro (still on Mojave)

Currently nothing is downloading, but I see two NZBGet processes. One shows the NZBGet icon and is hardly using any CPU time. Another process (all in lower case as nzbget) is using 99.2% of one of the CPUs.

Also, import of NZBs is taking for ever. I have it set to search the downloads directory for NZBs. It used to import them almost immediately. Now it takes hours for them to be picked up. Similarly, if I attempt to manually import an NZB, I get a spinning wheel for hours until it gets imported and starts to download.

I've tried uninstalling NZBGet and reinstalling but no luck.

Any thoughts?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Out of control process on Mac

Post by hugbug » 12 Oct 2019, 12:13

Process "nzbget" (all lower case) is the main downloader process. 99.2% of CPU usage is an issue.
If you uninstall the app by deleting the app-package the config remains. Please try this: stop all nzbget processes, delete (or rename for backup purpose) directory "/Users/<your-user-name>/Library/Application Support/NZBGet", start nzbget again. The config and required directories should be recreated with default settings.

BradInToronto

Post by BradInToronto » 12 Oct 2019, 16:21

Thank you so much!

At first this didn't solve the problem (after I restored my settings), but I think I uncovered what's going on. Might be a bug.

I have my NzbDir set to ~/Downloads. I don't know if this is a suggested setting or not, but I find it handy so I can just download an Nzb and away it goes.

The nzbget process only runs out of control once this directory is set. My downloads directory is admittedly full of junk. I played around with selectively deleting files, and the process calmed down when I deleted Xcode.app (yes, it shouldn't have been there anyway). I don't know if it's something specific about that file, or because it's 16GB.

So could there be an issue with the process scanning NzbDir if there are large files in that directory?

BradInToronto

Post by BradInToronto » 12 Oct 2019, 16:38

As a further experiment I put an 80GB mkv and a very small .app file in the directory and neither caused the process to spin out of control. So there's something about Xcode.app that did it.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 12 Oct 2019, 17:31

NZBGet scans all files and subdirectories in NzbDir. During scan NZBGet builds a list of files with timestamps and compares them on next scan and adds to queue only files not changed in last several seconds. That's a measure to prevent scanning of nzb-files which are still being downloaded.

The Xcode.app contains a full compiler toolchain with (likely) millions of files. That seems to not play well with nzbget.

It's recommended to have a dedicated directory for NzbDir, which isn't used for anything else.

BradInToronto

Post by BradInToronto » 12 Oct 2019, 18:37

Many thanks again!