Issue with news server password expiry

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
Bluto

Issue with news server password expiry

Post by Bluto » 12 Dec 2019, 17:57

Firstly, thank you hugbug for this wonderful program!

I believe there may be a small bug in NZBGet regarding its behaviour upon the expiry of a news server password.

Some news servers such as "Free Usenet" have free/trial accounts which last for a fixed length of time (e.g. 3 hours) before the password expires and needs to be renewed.

When such a password expires, NZBGet doesn't seem to realise this, and continues trying in vain to download files which it can no longer acquire. If the password is not renewed soon enough, the health gradually drops until it falls below the critical value, at which point the download is moved to the History tab and classified as "Failure".

Would it please be possible to implement something along the following lines to correct the above?
  • When an error is detected upon downloading, NZBGet first checks authentication with the news server in case the password has expired.
  • If authentication fails and no other news servers are available, the download is paused. The failed article is automatically redownloaded once the new password is entered and authentication has succeeded.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Issue with news server password expiry

Post by hugbug » 18 Dec 2019, 22:51

NZBGet continues the download only if the servers responds with "no such article"-error.
On authorisation errors nzbget retries indefinitely (one exception: the server is marked as "optional" in settings).

It seems your server returns improper error codes on account expiration. There is no way for nzbget to know why the server returns "no such article"-error. Looks like a bug on server side. To verify this you can activate DetailTarget-logging in nzbget to see the exact error message returned by the server.

Bluto

Post by Bluto » 19 Dec 2019, 15:44

Thank you for your reply. I shall have a go at activating the DetailTarget logging and let you know the outcome. For info, SABnzbd copes fine with the password expiry (*): it seems to correctly identify the problem as an authentication issue. But I much prefer the user interface of your program to either of these!

(*) Edit: it doesn't... My mistake.
Last edited by Bluto on 01 Jan 2020, 23:45, edited 2 times in total.

Bluto

Post by Bluto » 20 Dec 2019, 20:18

I have attached a log file produced when starting a download shortly before the 3-hour free account was due to expire. Looking at the errors, the bug might not be server-side; please could you take a look at the log?

The culprit appears to be this one: "482 subscription expired".
This sounds like the server is correctly flagging it up as an authentication issue (which it is, as the password has now indeed expired), but NZBGet continues to try to download the file resulting in the health dropping.
Attachments
nzbgetlog.txt
(11.22 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Bluto

Post by Bluto » 01 Jan 2020, 23:42

I was wrong about SABnzbd - it doesn't cope with the password expiry either. SABnzbd just takes much, much longer to fail (with no health status visible to show you what it is doing), which is why I originally thought it was simply waiting for a new password.

I realise now that the "482: subscription expired" message in the NZBGet log is probably some sort of time-out error rather than an authentication error, in which case the issue is server-side as you pointed out earlier. Sorry for the false alarm!