Upgrading NZBGET on NAS

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
homerjs

Upgrading NZBGET on NAS

Post by homerjs » 18 Dec 2019, 13:53

Since I am not a linux guru and fumble through it, but can use Putty comfortably , I am currently on ver 14.1 , this is running on my WD EX2 NAS.
The check for update in NZBGET doesn't work so I will need to do a manual upgrade.
My NAS allows an upgrade with a bin file but I believe the bin file option is not available here, just the bin-linux.run

So, to upgrade do I need to move the .run file to a specific location and run it from there? or can I download it anywhere on my NAS and run it and it will automatically upgrade the currently installed at it's location.
Currently it's installed in /shares/Volume_1/Nas_Prog/nzbget

Once upgraded will the same access localip:6789 remain the same access point?

Stupid question I'm certain, but help is appreciated

Thanks

homerjs

Re: Upgrading NZBGET on NAS

Post by homerjs » 18 Dec 2019, 22:26

ok, to simplify this in hopes of getting a reply.
I have my install file nzbget-21.0-linux-bin.run where it needs to be...just sitting 1 level above the current nzbget folder, will running this simply update my current install or do I need to uninstall my ver 14.1 1st?

thanks

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 18 Dec 2019, 22:45

Official nzbget installer from nzbget home page can update previous versions of nzbget installed with the official installer. Packages created by third-parties (like in your case) cannot be updated because their use the very different paths and directory structures, which the installer has no knowledge of.

I recommend to stop your existing nzbget (or remove it if you want but that's not necessary), then follow the installation instructions near the download button of the official installer.

homerjs

Post by homerjs » 18 Dec 2019, 23:22

thanks for the insightful explanation, greatly appreciated.
This is the info I needed.

homerjs

Post by homerjs » 22 Dec 2019, 22:40

just another question or 2, so you mentioned i can just stop my current version installed on the NAS ( I dont have to remove it) and install the new version.

So where is the preferably install location for this 2nd install
(current NAS installed version is located in /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/nzbget ) can I just create another directory here and call it nzbget2 and run the installer from this location?

So with 2 installs, I assume I can stop 1 and run the other.. switch between the 2 if I so choose?

thanks for your patience

homerjs

Post by homerjs » 24 Dec 2019, 01:05

anyone...can I stop my current NAS installed version and install a 2nd official version and run that?
what happens if both were started at the same time? perhaps you cant start a 2nd when the 1st is running?

thanks

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 26 Dec 2019, 15:13

You can have both running as long a they are configured to use different ports.