request

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
dude

request

Post by dude » 12 Nov 2008, 15:44

I'm using nzbget 0.5.1 which perfectly fits my needs. (Thanks for that!)
Only problem is that the HDD in my CH3SNAS never spins down because of the "NzbDirInterval=5" line in nzbget.conf
Of course I can change this value but it would be very nice if this can be scheduled.

In my case it would be perfect to look for nzb's once per day @ 2:00 am.

This way it starts leeching over night and when finished it doesn't spin up my HDD for needless checking of nzb's.
The way I solve this now is killing nzbget manually via telnet if I don't need it.
Thx!

dude

Re: request

Post by dude » 12 Nov 2008, 16:01

One addition to this.
If I change 'NzbDirInterval=0' in nzbget.conf the server should check for nzb's on startup. (My personal opinion.)
But this doesn't happen.

(This way I could try something with crontab to start and kill daemon automatically.)

KaraokeStu

Post by KaraokeStu » 12 Nov 2008, 16:40

NZBDirInterval=86400 (24 hours)

or

NZBDirInterval=43200 (12 hours)

Then just start your daemon at 2pm and you're good to go :)

I personally have my disk constantly spinning as there was a big google test done (with google's own server disks) to show that constantly spinning disks had just as long lifetimes as disks constantly spinning up and down (think of the motor force to get the spin going, as well as the head parking)

doctorvangogh

Post by doctorvangogh » 12 Nov 2008, 18:08

You could also schedule your nzbget to start at 2am via cron and then have a postprocessing script that will check if there are any outstanding collections to download, and if not have that script shutdown nzbget again.

dude

Post by dude » 12 Nov 2008, 18:09

Yep, I figured that one out myself.
And let cron start the daemon at 2 am, because I'm sleeping then. ;)
During daytime remove the now unnecessary cronjob.

Problem is you have to do this all over if the NAS reboots for whatever reason.

If it's not too hard to implement it would be nice to configure this in nzbget.conf

dude

Post by dude » 12 Nov 2008, 18:14

doctorvangogh how can I check with the postprocess script for nzb's to download?
I don't understand because postprocessing is after the daemon starts leeching. :?:

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 12 Nov 2008, 18:18

I'll add a new remote command to scan nzbdir on request, something like "nzbget --scannzbdir".
Then you can put it to cron.
dude wrote:If I change 'NzbDirInterval=0' in nzbget.conf the server should check for nzb's on startup. (My personal opinion.)
Use a very large value to scan on start only, for example 'NzbDirInterval=31536000' (once a year).

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 12 Nov 2008, 18:22

If your device has USB-port you can use USB-memorystick for nzbdir.

dude

Post by dude » 12 Nov 2008, 18:58

hugbug wrote:I'll add a new remote command to scan nzbdir on request, something like "nzbget --scannzbdir".
Then you can put it to cron.
dude wrote:If I change 'NzbDirInterval=0' in nzbget.conf the server should check for nzb's on startup. (My personal opinion.)
Use a very large value to scan on start only, for example 'NzbDirInterval=31536000' (once a year).
Thanks hugbug, it would be nice to cron this remote command while the daemon is already running.
Sounds exactly like the only thing I'm missing now in 0.5.1

Smart trick to come up with the 31536000 interval :) , I'm playing with it in right now. 8-)

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 13 Nov 2008, 19:44

Implemented command "--scan/-S" in r251.
If you can't compile youself wait for a next testing version. I will compile and upload it probably on this weekend. You can subscribe to Announcements-forum to receive email notification.