nobody

Binding socket and too many files open error

Post by nobody » 23 Apr 2008, 02:17

I received the following errors while running in "nzbget -s" mode:

ERROR Binding socket failed for 127.0.0.1: ErrNo 98, Unknown resolver error

followed some time later by

~/dst/nzbget.log too many files open

[I'm not sure of the exact syntax of the second error, as it wasn't logged]

My session had 25 files in the queue, with each file having only several parts (ebooks). I have twelve servers listed in my config file (because of the flakiness of my isp), with 5 connections for the first, 4 for the second, and 1 for the rest.

These errors started after the session had been up for at least an hour. Downloading and completions continued as usual while the errors continued to be announced. When the session was quit and a new one started (this time with 9 files in the queue), the errors did not reappear.

I assume this is occurring because there are too many requests for downloads being made, but I couldn't find anywhere to limit this in the config file. Nzbget continues to work, but the ncurses gui becomes clogged with error messages making it unusable. Is there anyway to correct this behaviour?

nobody

RE: Binding socket and too many files open error

Post by nobody » 23 Apr 2008, 15:09

I think you need to check your ulimit.

hugbug

Post by hugbug » 23 Apr 2008, 16:57

What system are you using? Is it desktop Linux or any kind of NAS/Router device?

>ERROR Binding socket failed for 127.0.0.1: ErrNo 98, Unknown resolver error

If this error is shown directly after the start, it probably means the port is used by other service. Change the option "serverport" in config.

nobody

RE: Binding socket and too many files open er

Post by nobody » 23 Apr 2008, 21:40

>I think you need to check your ulimit.

Is this the bash ulimit command? Looking in "ps aux" I could see multiple instances of "nzbget -s". Are all of these processes taken together using too many resources?

What resource do I need to limit, and is there anyway to limit this behaviour just to nzbget?

>What system are you using?

This is a Linux desktop session: Slackware 11.0. The error messages start about an hour after the session begins.

nobody

Post by nobody » 24 Apr 2008, 12:11

Yes, "too many open files" means that you hit your ulimit for file descriptors (-n).

nobody

RE: Binding socket and too many files open er

Post by nobody » 25 Apr 2008, 05:16

This is what I have done:

1) Added fs.file-max=200000 to /etc/sysctl.conf, and ran sysctl -p to apply changes. This should increase the number of file handles.

2) In .nzbget.conf set Threads=30 (Problems started when total threads passed 40).

Making these changes, allowed a complete session without errors. Hopefully this is the solution.