Download Failures

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
nobody

Download Failures

Post by nobody » 01 Feb 2008, 04:39

My news server seems to be less available than I thought. I've noticed it being unavailable at times while using BNR2 but it never affects my queue/downloads. With NZBGet, any brief unavailability really messes things up. I get a series of

INFODownloading ...
WARNINGArticle ... failed: 499 Try again later - remote server down?

WARNINGDownload ... failed

messages and failed downloads. Apparently its not recognized as a download error because NZBGet just moves on to the next segment (no retry). In 5 minutes I just lost something like 900 segments/24 rars with a series of the above warning messages.

hugbug

RE: Download Failures

Post by hugbug » 01 Feb 2008, 08:03

The recognition of authorization errors was improved since version 0.3.0. Additionally the program now keeps connections open, which also should help in your case.

Could you please test the latest version from svn?

To get it use the command:

svn co http://nzbget.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/nzbget/trunk nzbget

You need the program "subversion" installed on your system. It is available for many OSes including Linux and Windows.

nobody

Post by nobody » 01 Feb 2008, 23:38

Testing. I'll let you know how NZBGet handles the next 499 (NNTPCache NNTP_SERVERTEMPDOWN). Thanks.

nobody

Post by nobody » 05 Feb 2008, 06:21

OK It works, but not as expected. Instead of retrying to download a single segment every 120 (example is 10) seconds until the server becomes available again, it continues down the list trying to download every segment in the queue.

If I did the math right, NZBGet (re)tried/failed downloading 239 segments (956 lines of log) during the 5- minutes the server was unavailable. I also had 28 segments time out.

Despite all the above, the download ended up complete and didn't need repair.

hugbug

Post by hugbug » 05 Feb 2008, 08:15

Indeed, on authorization errors the program tries to download other articles (and starts new thread, this why it is bad). I will change this.

I'll post here a new message as soon as I have this fixed so you could test it again.

BTW, could you please send me the log for father investigation? Thanks.
hugbug@users.sourceforge.net

nobody

Post by nobody » 05 Feb 2008, 20:18

The next time I looked at the log it contained what I posted in the CRC Failure thread (With CrcCheck=yes). Something I didn't mention is that there were two 'lost connection' messages in the log, I did get one segment during those 5 minutes. I'll only use NZBGet for nzb's that pass the CrcCheck and will save the log the next time the news server is temporarily down.

It looks like the retry is currently designed around retrying broken segments (can confirm it works for that), not for dealing with unavailable servers. Note: Its my ISP's server and no authorization is required.

hugbug

Post by hugbug » 06 Feb 2008, 13:32

Why do you refer to NNTPCache, do you use it locally or you know your provider use it?

In fact the error message seems to come from NNTPCache. Error code "499" is not defined in NNTP-standard and NNTPCache is probably the only server returning it.

nobody

Post by nobody » 06 Feb 2008, 17:31

Yes, my ISP uses NNTPCache and trying to track down the 499 message lead me to NNTPCache code

#define NNTP_SERVERTEMPDOWN "499 Try again later - remote server down?"

I'm guessing the log line before the 499 lines (IIRC, something like connection lost) is important and I'll post it as soon as I see it again.

hugbug

Post by hugbug » 06 Feb 2008, 18:10

I added check for error "499". Now nzbget should detect them and behave like the connection was not successful: wait N seconds AND not count this as a retry.
This allow you to set "RetryInterval" to a smaller value (like default 10 seconds).

... continued in thread "CRC Failures" ...

nobody

Post by nobody » 08 Feb 2008, 00:20

It works, thank you. It was confusing at first because only one of the connections was closed and the failure gets reported 3 minutes after the fact, when NZBGet tries to reconnect. It doesn't work if NZBGet cannot connect at startup.

Thu Feb 7 01:13:00 2008INFODownloading ...part16.rar [9/61]
Thu Feb 7 01:16:00 2008WARNINGArticle ...part16.rar [9/61] ... failed, could not fetch article: Connection closed by remote host
Thu Feb 7 01:16:07 2008INFOSuccessfully downloaded ...part16.rar [9/61]