The pet project continues - nzbget-0.1.2-alt4

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
placebodk

The pet project continues - nzbget-0.1.2-alt4

Post by placebodk » 05 Feb 2005, 18:04

The file can be downloaded at: http://files.interiority.dk/nzbget-0.1.2-alt4.tar.gz

New stuff:

* tcp/ip communication has replaced the old System V IPC, which brings some good things:
- no more silly "server is already running"-messages after unexpected crashes which the SIGINT handler didnt catch
- You can have clients on a different machine add requests to the server - you only have to specialize the nzbget.cfg files on each machine to do this

* Runtime change the download bandwith limit value - press <r> in servermode and enter the number

* It's possible to pause all downloads - press <p> in servermode to toggle pause of download

* Queue-editing functionality - press <return> in servermode to enter this mode.
- It's possible to delete entries in the queue
- It's possible to change the position of a certain entry to be downloaded earlier or later than originally. Currently theres the limitation that you can't edit the current file being downloaded, something which is caused by the original implementation of the nzbget-code.

I think thats just about it. At present "I have just uploaded the new version" time the code has only been tested on my machine so you might want to hold your horses deleting the old code until you have made certain that this new version works for you.

As always any response, critizism, problems, etc. are more than welcome - either send me an email through my sourceforge account (placebodk) or reply to this thread.

Future ideas for this project, when and if I get the time, could be:
* Use par2repair to automatically run a check when a download finishes (and uses par2)
* Create a GUI for the project
* Implement a win32 client so we all can sit at work and send requests to our respective server(s)

Until then,

/placebodk

tested1

RE: The pet project continues - nzbget-0.1.2-

Post by tested1 » 06 Feb 2005, 00:40

Im just posting to thank you for you work on this project. Please keep up the good work.

-tested1

rvkasper

Post by rvkasper » 15 Feb 2005, 22:56

Hmmm... well placebodk that link does not seem to work - get a 404 error... Thanks

rvkasper

Post by rvkasper » 15 Feb 2005, 22:57

Very cool btw - these latest changes should REALLY make this program cool. Thanks again for all your work onthis project.

placebodk

RE: The pet project continues - nzbget-0.1.2-alt4

Post by placebodk » 16 Feb 2005, 10:33

>Hmmm... well placebodk that link does not seem to work - get a 404 error... Thanks

Well, that was kind of my fault/doing - I "panicked" because I ran into some problems with my own server suddenly not wanting to end the download of a .nzb file - as a result of this I renamed the file on the server (adding a 'beta' to the name). However attempts at reproducing this at my development machine has failed, so I'm going out on a limb and putting the file back in.

But this leads me to stress that the code I'm currently is producing should be considered beta, although I'm very open for bug-reports and suggestions. If people experience the same thing as described above I need to know about it.

While I've been looking into the problem mentioned above I've implemented the following functionality:

http://files.interiority.dk/nzbget-0.1.2-alt5.tar.gz

New stuff:

* Added functionality for saving the queue to disk (in the .nzbget directory).
- If any downloads go wrong or if you ctrl+c it, you have the option of re-loading the queue when starting nzbget again.

It's one of those new "cool" and "useful" features, and I've been running with it the last 7 days or so.

Furthermore I've applied for taking over this project at Source Forge - I'll keep you guys posted how this works out.

/placebodk

nibor2005

Post by nibor2005 » 17 Feb 2005, 13:32

Hi,

I'm starting on writing an Win32 client (using wxwindows, so port to linux must be doable).

Anyway, for somereason the changes you have maded,
made nzbget stop working for me:
After startingup the nzbget server,
and sending a nzb file with a client, only the following message is displayed on the server side.

[INFO] NZBQueue request received from 127.0.0.1
2 threads running, 0 kB/s, 0 MB queued ()

And it just hangs here... waiting for ??
No connection at all is being made to my newsserver

nibor2005

Post by nibor2005 » 17 Feb 2005, 15:16

nevermind, it's working now..
If I have a working pre-alpha :) version
of my win32 client.. I will post it..

Thx for the great work !

rvkasper

Post by rvkasper » 17 Feb 2005, 22:25

Hmm - sorry I can't provide more info - been getting segmentation fault errors after getting a little ways into my downloads...

[INFO] Decoded cdz-blamo.r37.66
6 threads running, 134 kB/s, 28121 MB queued (~ 59:41:41)
Segmentation fault

This occurs in both server and standalone modes - using alt5 - I picked the download back up after reverting back to alt3 and the error went away; however, with alt3 (in server mode) it slowed the download speed to a crawl for about 30 seconds then went back along its merry way. Let me know if I can provide additional info, or if I should be posting my findings elsewhere... And keep up the good work on this project!

placebodk

Post by placebodk » 18 Feb 2005, 16:05

rvkasper, glad you posted the bug, unfortunate that this is happening to you. Hopefully we can remedy that.

Q: Is this happening with all downloads for you or only with specific downloads?

Q: I can see you have queued 28GB worth of downloads, have you tried with less?

Since it's working for you with the alt3 it must be something I have introduced with the latest TCP/IP trip (alt4+).

In order to narrow the problem down you could try out the followng:

1. Set connections to 1 so nzbget doesnt spam with more than 1 thread
2. Open the Makefile and add -DDEBUG to the end of the DEFS. (eg. DEFS = -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DVERSION="$(VERSION)" -DDEBUG
3. recompile code with make
4. Try it again in logable-mode (nzbget -m logable)

You will get spammed to death with what nzbget is doing, but this might bring clues as to what is going wrong.

/placebodk

tincanfury

Post by tincanfury » 19 Feb 2005, 15:01

you should really open a new project for this here