Remux H.264 MKV to M4V for Apple ?

Share your scripts or request scripts with specific features.
Forum rules
Please keep the forum clean - one topic per script. Questions not related to a specific script should be posted in Support forum.
robertpolson

Remux H.264 MKV to M4V for Apple ?

Post by robertpolson » 21 Nov 2013, 01:35

Is it possible to use some kind of script to remux MKV to M4V? Most of the files that I get are H.264 MKV which need to be transcoded to proper audio for Apple TV. I am wondering if this can be achieved on NAS without copying files to my Mac and doing remuxing?

cxhamilton

Re: Remux H.264 MKV to M4V for Apple ?

Post by cxhamilton » 21 Nov 2013, 03:32

Possible? Most likely, if you can find a build of Handbrake CLI and/or ffmpeg for your NAS platform.

Would you want to remux a multi-GB file on a NAS? Probably not. Remuxing/transcoding requires a significant amount of CPU horsepower, which NAS platforms are typically constrained by -- sometimes considerably. My Mac Mini, which has almost 2x the CPU horsepower of my Synology can take a couple of hours for a 8-10GB movie. Not to mention that it runs hotter and is otherwise unusable for any other purpose during that time. Of course, you can nice the process, but you'll only extend the remux time.

Regardless, I would not suggest this as a pp-script if your goal was to incorporate this it as such. I would share a "remux" folder on your NAS. Write a shell script to watch for new MKVs in that folder and launch Handbrake CLI to create the MP4. Let your NAS be a NAS and let your Mac to the heavy lifting.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 21 Nov 2013, 09:42

I wonder why remuxing takes so long?
I thought if the video resolution not needed to be changed and the video/audio codecs used in MKV and MP4 are the same the video/audio data can remain untouched.

robertpolson

Post by robertpolson » 21 Nov 2013, 17:19

Yeah, I think I'll just setup a watch folder in iFlicks or iVi and let my mac do the job.

jackiass2

Post by jackiass2 » 05 Dec 2013, 07:43

The mkvdts2ac3 script can also do remuxing to mp4. Is that still apple compatible? You can find it here https://github.com/dcthomson/mkvdts2ac3.py
Right now, we are trying to get it to work as a post process script for nzbget. It works if you run it manually.