[PP-Script / Scan-Script] Automatically Fetch Subtitles

Share your scripts or request scripts with specific features.
Forum rules
Please keep the forum clean - one topic per script. Questions not related to a specific script should be posted in Support forum.
kloaknet

Re: [PP-Script / Scan-Script] Automatically Fetch Subtitles

Post by kloaknet » 13 Dec 2014, 07:08

could be related to the WEB-DL indeed :( , scene stuff for shows is (almost?) always HDTV. Also note that WEB-DL is often several hours late (sometimes sooner too) compared to HDTV, which means you could be getting HDTV subs while you want WEB-DL (resulting in out of sync etc).

Note also that square bracket stuff [ ] is not scene naming, and the [ ] signs may create issues for guessit extracting show names etc?

Maybe a cool option would be to only allow WEB-DL subs is subliminal for WEB-DL stuff? (although it definitely will have downsides too, grabbing less etc.) So sort of include a strict option on source :?:

Moolan

Post by Moolan » 13 Dec 2014, 22:01

I am not sure what defines scene. I personally prefer WEB-DL as the video is cleaner (no network logo and higher quality) but release are later (hours to days) which I dont mind. The square bracket is my naming structure using videosort. I did some independent testing and it does not affect subliminal's guessit. Both '.' naming and '[]' naming produces the same result.

WEB-DL option only would be nice. Although, I think this already forms part of subliminal scoring.

kloaknet

Post by kloaknet » 13 Dec 2014, 23:47

Moolan wrote:I am not sure what defines scene. I personally prefer WEB-DL as the video is cleaner (no network logo and higher quality) but release are later (hours to days) which I dont mind. The square bracket is my naming structure using videosort. I did some independent testing and it does not affect subliminal's guessit. Both '.' naming and '[]' naming produces the same result.

WEB-DL option only would be nice. Although, I think this already forms part of subliminal scoring.
web-dl is indeed a lot less annoying :), scene is very strict on clear naming, consistent in releasing, not messing around with file names. Does subliminal get the actual release group name from the last brackets in your naming too? Thats an important part, because of sync.

About the option for WEB-DL, subliminal grabs the best possible match, based on all individual naming parts (720p, shows name, ep, hdtv, etc) , so when there isnt a web-dl it grabs the best fit. Going for web-dl only will at least solve sync issues. But it could also increase the possibility that you don't get subs soon because there aren't any. And maybe it doesnt even help you, and make it way more complicated for l2g

kloaknet

Post by kloaknet » 09 Jan 2015, 16:01

Addic7ed didn't work me for about 2 weeks. This is the error that appeared:

Code: Select all

warning   Fri Jan 09 2015 16:09:49   Subliminal: Provider 'addic7ed' is not available, discarding it
the solution was rather simple, change the password on the addic7ed site (and of course also for the script :roll: )

l2g

Post by l2g » 11 Jan 2015, 16:42

kloaknet wrote:Addic7ed didn't work me for about 2 weeks. This is the error that appeared:

Code: Select all

warning   Fri Jan 09 2015 16:09:49   Subliminal: Provider 'addic7ed' is not available, discarding it
You're not the only one...
After thourougly debugging this issue it comes down to them just looking at the User-Agent (HTTP Header) string we pass along with each web request. If it reads 'Subliminal' (which all our requests would), then Addic7ed now denies us any information. They've effectively cracked down and blocked all 3rd party apps (except web browsers) by doing this (not just us). This means people who have XBMC subltitle plugins, etc... are all being blocked now too. Addic7ed simply returns a 403 HTTP error code and a blank page (nothing to parse or extract from).

Honesty, It's really a silly thing for them to do. The User-Agent string is just a nice way for third party programs (like this one) to let their server know where we come from for their own internal web statistics. It's so easily changed and this is what we'll have to do I guess.

The Proposed Solution
I can change the requests (User-Agent) to appear more like they came from a web browser (such as Chrome/Firefox/Safari/etc). After googling around, it's what the other plugin maintainers are doing for similar applications.

Until now, it was forced that you have a login/password when you use Addic7ed. But i'm even thinking of scrapping that now too. It's not like it does us any justice.

It's not really good etiquette to do all of this. But at the same time, it appears to be the only way around this is:

Thoughts? A better course of action? Suggestions?

Edit: reworded what i wrote.

kloaknet

Post by kloaknet » 13 Jan 2015, 16:05

regarding addic7ed and 'blocking' subliminal:

I think that the most important thing is to respect the decisions their admins make on automation etc. (as you already mentioned). I totally understand they just block all automated requests, and hopefully they adapt their site a bit to allow automation. Automation is becoming the standard nowadays. Therefore I sort of agree that you send a fair User Agent string to identify that the program is used.

Although the load of a program like subliminal is not that high for a single check (just like the 1 - 2 times a day as you would do manually), if its configured to check like every hour its 12 times more 'visits' a day. And based on experience, there are also people would just run automation programs to check like every 5 minutes, cause relatively a large amount of visits compared to the manual check.

At the moment (and definitly in the past) addi7ed is the best site in providing high quality subtitles for shows, and all the other subtitle sites just grab them of addic7ed mostly. A site like podnapisi is for the user interface way better already than addi7ed, and because of the current blocking, I guess podnapisi could become better known as addi7ed on the long term. It would be cool if addi7ed could implement something like max 10 automated requests a day, just like the max download limit of 40 subs they have for subscribed members.

I guess the best way to go is to let someone contact the addi7ed admins, inform them about that there is a easy way to circumvent their blocking, BUT we don't want to do that and 'abuse' their site. Then we also should ask if it would be possible to implement some automation request limitation to the max number of visits to the site, and avoid misuse. While the guys write some code to check the number of automated calls, we may even could write a little piece of code and hook it into subliminal that only allows 10 checks a day. (although people may circumvent this option and use and older version).

l2g

Post by l2g » 14 Jan 2015, 01:18

Duly noted, i've emailed them since their forum is still unavailable. I'll keep you all informed on the response i get. Here is an XBMC Addic7ed plugin who already went to the dark side by masking themselves as a Chrome browser.

Addic7ed truely already ruined their web stats; everyone is just exploiting the silly barrier they put in place. I don't think they planned very well ahead for this one.

mradonis

Post by mradonis » 16 Jan 2015, 19:43

noob question, do i need to un-comment the script for the options i want, or is this handled througth the gui?

thanks

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 16 Jan 2015, 20:00

Everything is in gui. Don't edit the script unless you do programming.

l2g

Post by l2g » 23 Jan 2015, 02:58

Well,

It's been a bit more then a week now and I still haven't heard back yet. In the interm, i created a v0.9.3 no karma version. You can download it here.

Quite simply, Addic7ed are blocking us for broadcasting our application name before we fetch the subtitle. So i just changed it to use series of random web browser strings instead. I also removed the login/password since it doesn't gain you anything either.

I am not proud of this release (hence the no karma part of the title) and will drop the branch if the Addic7ed admin ever gets back to me or publicly makes a compromise. Automation is the 21st century of the internet; No one wants to click 8 times past banners just to get a 1KB (in size) subtitle. Most people have Ad blocking software and don't even see these banners anyway. There are many other ways to get people on board with helping them out financially (if that's what this is about), and at the same time accomodate those who've automated their service.