How to set network Paths

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
CaptainHero

How to set network Paths

Post by CaptainHero » 10 Apr 2015, 08:05

Hi There,

This may be a stupid question to which there is an obvious answer but i have not yet found it based on my googling.

Currently NzbGet is running on my NAS where also the downloads are stored to. This works fine without issue.

Now i am planning on potentially moving NzbGet on my Cubox (either under OpenELEC if i can manage or maybe under an ArchLinux install) because of the better hardware and hope of better performance there and NzbGet would download to directorys on my NAS as before.

I have not yet found info on how i need to setup the various folder paths in this scenario for NzbGet to automatically download to and use these network paths that point to folders on my NAS.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: How to set network Paths

Post by hugbug » 10 Apr 2015, 09:41

For the best results keep most folders on the machine where NZBGet is running (including MainDir, InterDir, QueueDir, etc.) and set only DestDir to the NAS-path. In that case all the downloading will be run locally and the files will be moved to NAS at the final stage - during unpack (from InterDir to DestDir).

Failed downloads will be kept in InterDir though. If that's an issue you could write a pp-script which will move files to NAS well or just delete them.

CaptainHero

Post by CaptainHero » 10 Apr 2015, 10:31

Hi Hugbug,

Thanks for the reply. Yep i think your approach is feasible however what i still do not know is what exactly (how it needs to look like for it to work) i have to set in the DestDir so that NzbGet knows where to put the finished downloaded files onto my NAS. Since there is no browse option for me to define the path i am not sure how the actual path needs to look like in NzbGET settings.

Cheers

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 10 Apr 2015, 10:49

NZBGet works with file system. Therefore the NAS must be accessible via local path. This is done by mounting the NAS-drive to your local file system mount point. Modern Linux system have UI to do that or you can do that via command tools.
At the end you will have a local path which is mapped to the folder on the remote computer and can be used in any program including NZBGet as if it were a local path (for example DestDir=/mnt/nas-folder/downloads).

I suppose you have terminal access to the machine where NZBGet is running. If you see the remote path in terminal that's the path to use in NZBGet.

Make sure the user account under which NZBGet is running has writing permissions on remote drive.

CaptainHero

Post by CaptainHero » 10 Apr 2015, 10:58

Thanks. Once i get to the point that i have NzbGet also installed on the Cubox i will try this out. Atm i am not sure how i can even get it on the Cubox under OpenELEC which would be my preferred option since i do not want to go through the hassle of building everything from scratch under Arch.

Wish it would be as simple to compile as it is currently on my NAS based on your source code :)

Thanks again!