Download over multiple internet connections / providers

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
kloaknet

Download over multiple internet connections / providers

Post by kloaknet » 13 Jan 2017, 17:22

Hi hugbug,

recently had a discussion with someone with slow internet, and using 2 internet providers / connections / lines to speed up downloading. I understood alt.binz has this feature, is there maybe some way NZBGet supports this too? Just an idea, I am not in the need of this, but if you run out of new features ;)

greetz

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Download over multiple internet connections / providers

Post by hugbug » 13 Jan 2017, 18:20

Isn't this something to configure in router?

kloaknet

Post by kloaknet » 14 Jan 2017, 07:28

thanks for your reply hugbug,

there are indeed multi wan routers, but those are or very expensive when they will use both connections to say double speed, other routers just use 1 of the two and have the other as fail safe. If i would be using the feature, it would be 1 adsl and 1 cable connection, so needing 2 bridged modems (provider based) and 1 router with 2 WAN connections.

Other options I would consider is to use a cabled network connection into my computer, and one using Wifi, so the connections actually are combined in the pc instead of at a router. This saves a lot of costs for the people using the option (people have often a cabled and Wifi connection in say laptop). You may even could combine your phone and internet subscription into one etc.

alt.binz works for the 2nd option listed above, and is used for this feature. It seems to assume 2 separate wan connections via the 2 different hardware components inside your pc, and uses both to grab stuff.

here is more info: http://www.altbinz.net/forum/closed-requests/multi-wan/

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 14 Jan 2017, 11:05

Most Usenet providers don't allow connecting from multiple IP addresses. Therefore you would need separate providers for each network connection. In this case you can configure network routes using OS commands to make connections for providers go through specific network interfaces.
If your provider does allow multiple IP addresses you could configure US and EU servers for different routes to achieve a similar effect.

What I'm trying to say is that there is little sense to invest time in a feature which 1) hardly anyone needs and 2) can be achieved using OS configuration.

kloaknet

Post by kloaknet » 14 Jan 2017, 12:33

:-) Might just keep it in store when you have totally nothing to do then ;) , thanks for your replies!