NZBGet on Raspberry Pi 2 model B

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
Travis_Davies

NZBGet on Raspberry Pi 2 model B

Post by Travis_Davies » 09 Aug 2017, 19:43

Hi,

I've moved from SABNzbd to NZBGet because I heard that NG offers better performance, especially when it comes to devices such as the RPi 2.

My problem however is that NZBGet performs about 50% of what SABNzbd does in terms of download speed. While I get between 4-6MB/s using SN, I only get 2MB/s using NZBGet.

CPU and RAM is only at about 40-50% (high is 70% but rarely). The external hard drive is showing no problems either as I'm able to transfer files to it over FTP and get good speeds locally while using usenet (for testing purposes).

I've read the performance tips and tried various changes (number of connections, cache, articles size etc) but seeing no difference.

Now, I know the RPi 2 isn't a powerful device and I can't expect a full 100Mbit/s (my internet connection). But I should be able to expect speeds around the same as SABNzbd, right?

So, looking for any advice on what to tweak here! Maybe someone has posted a config that works for their Raspberry pi (but I haven't found it?)?

Setup:
RPi 2 model B, 1GB ram
Running DietPi.
NZBGet 19.1
External 1TB hard drive.

Thanks in advance!

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: NZBGet on Raspberry Pi 2 model B

Post by hugbug » 09 Aug 2017, 21:14

Please install using universal installer as described in installation manual. Then put your server details and do not change any settings. What speeds you get with one, two, four, eight connections?
Then set:

Code: Select all

ArticleCache=150
WriteBuffer=1024
FlushQueue=no
ContinuePartial=no
And retry the tests. Please post all results.

Travis_Davies

Post by Travis_Davies » 10 Aug 2017, 07:19

Hi Hugbug, thanks for your reply!

I've reinstalled NZBGet, did not touch the settings and speed tested it using 4,6,8 and 10 connections. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Secondly, I made the changes you suggested. Again, I don't see a difference in terms of speed, it's around 1.96MB/s-2.04MB/s.

However, I do get some of these:

ERROR	Thu Aug 10 2017 09:12:34	Could not receive data on socket from [b]usenetprovider[/b]: ErrNo 104, Connection reset by peer
ERROR	Thu Aug 10 2017 09:12:34	Could not receive data on socket from [b]usenetprovider[/b]: ErrNo 11, Resource temporarily unavailable
ERROR	Thu Aug 10 2017 09:12:21	Could not receive data on socket from [b]usenetprovider[/b]: ErrNo 11, Resource temporarily unavailable
ERROR	Thu Aug 10 2017 09:08:02	Could not receive data on socket from [b]usenetprovider[/b]: ErrNo 104, Connection reset by peer
ERROR	Thu Aug 10 2017 09:08:02	Could not receive data on socket from [b]usenetprovider[/b]: ErrNo 11, Resource temporarily unavailable
ERROR	Thu Aug 10 2017 09:07:00	Could not receive data on socket from [b]usenetprovider[/b]: ErrNo 11, Resource temporarily unavailable
But the files download and unpack, no problems. Not sure what is causing the above errors, have tried with and without SSL and using different ports advised by the provider.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 10 Aug 2017, 11:09

Travis_Davies wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 07:19
I've reinstalled NZBGet
I hope you've installed into a new directory because if you reinstall into existing one the old config file will be kept but we wanted to test with the default settings.

What about speed with one and two connections?

Installed and all directories are on hard drive, no on SD card, right?

Travis_Davies

Post by Travis_Davies » 10 Aug 2017, 18:38

When you said the config file may be left behind I decided to go in and have a look after uninstalling to make sure there wasn't anything left there. You were right, the config file was left behind. But I removed the entire directory and sub-directories.

1 connection is ~1.55MB/s
2 connections ~2.70MB/s
3 connections ~1.95MB/s

Here is a screenshot of "htop" when using 3 connections: Image

Travis_Davies

Post by Travis_Davies » 11 Aug 2017, 06:46

Also, I should add:

I tried to download a torrent of aprox. 4GB using my desktop machine but pointing it to the attached hard drive on the raspberry pi (Samba shared). I got 8-9MB/s using this method.

I really don't think it's the hard drive that is bottlenecking the setup. What strikes me as weird is that SABNzbd was able to pull between 4-6MB/s on default settings. I want to achieve at least those speeds with NZBGet as I've heard that it's much better built and should increase performance overall.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 11 Aug 2017, 14:21

Are nzbget and all files and directories (InterDir, QueueDir, LogFile, etc.) on hard drive (not SD card)?

When you test SAB is it on the same device and uses the same hard drive?

Travis_Davies

Post by Travis_Davies » 11 Aug 2017, 16:45

Yes on both questions.

Since the SD card isn't that fast, I've moved the user directories and the destination/intermission dirs to the hard drive. The OS (DietPi) runs off the SD card however.

When I tested SAB I had the same exact same setup and pointed the directory to the hard drive.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 11 Aug 2017, 19:33

I'm running out of ideas. I saw benchmarks where nzbget was downloading at 6-7MB/s on RPi2 but the tests were old. Maybe, just for a test, try version 16.4 and 17.1? Install into a separate directory, they will not interfere with other installations. Just make sure only one instance is running at a given time.

Travis_Davies

Post by Travis_Davies » 12 Aug 2017, 09:22

hugbug,

Maybe I can do some testing. As you said earlier, keeping things as installed default is key, right? Then if you want to experiment further to see if you get a change of speeds, try to alter these:

ArticleCache=150
WriteBuffer=1024
FlushQueue=no
ContinuePartial=no
I'll keep you posted if I find out why this is happening. Thanks for your input!