Segmentation Fault after upgrading to FreeBSD 11.1?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
displaced

Re: Segmentation Fault after upgrading to FreeBSD 11.1?

Post by displaced » 03 Aug 2017, 13:33

Interesting that the segfault persisted for you. The FreeBSD portfile must be doing some environmental magic to get it to compile correctly. As donileo has found, the most recent version compiles correctly on 11.1 when installed via the ports system.

I should look up the port maintainer's details to see if they can assist with getting the build working.

In the meantime, I gave your solution a try, and it's successful. I still had my 'failed' install of the latest binary distribution of nzbget laying around. I just replaced the nzbget binary with the Linux one, branded it and off it went! I didn't need the unrar/7z binaries.

(just looked up the maintainer's email address at https://www.freshports.org/news/nzbget/ -- I'll drop them an email and point them to this thread. They might be able to suggest a tweak to the build process that will work with both <11.1 and 11.1+)

Cheers,
Chris

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 03 Aug 2017, 14:31

I do not compile on FreeBSD and I do not use ports.

My build process is complex. For Linux installer I have to build for 8 different CPU architectures. You can't expect me to have 8 build machines. That's why I do cross-compiling. I have a cross-compiling toolchain for each target platform (CPU). All cross-compiling toolchains co-exist on one machine.

The build for FreeBSD works in a similar way. I have a cross-compiling toolchain, which runs on Linux but the target platform is FreeBSD, more specifically FreeBSD 9.3. As a test I've build a toolchain specifically for FreeBSD 11.1 but that didn't solve the problem. I also tried a newer version of GCC (6.4 instead of 5.3) which didn't help either.

Currently, thanks to cross-compiling, the installer for FreeBSD is built during the same process which builds installer for Linux. Therefore, once created the toolchain for FreeBSD, I do not have any extra work to support FreeBSD.

If I build on FreeBSD using port the result binary will most likely work only on that specific FreeBSD version. That would also require me to have a FreeBSD machine, moreover probably a separate machine for each version I want to support. That would bring the efforts for providing FreeBSD installer into a level, where I would rather drop the support altogether, considering low download numbers.

Currently I'm thinking about adjusting Linux installer to work on FreeBSD (instead of throwing a message "not supported OS"). A short installation instructions about enabling Linux kernel driver would help FreeBSD users to use the Linux version. Considering that NZBGet linux binary doesn't require any extra libraries, installing it on FreeBSD seems to be simple and straightforward. The "brandelf" can be made part of the installer.

It would be great if you could use the Linux version for a while and report back.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 26 Aug 2017, 17:56

The issue is fixed in v20.0. Please test the latest testing version and write back.
Once the fix is confirmed it will be shipped with v19.2 stable.