"Unknown Error" when testing connection to usenet.farm?

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
Clay

"Unknown Error" when testing connection to usenet.farm?

Post by Clay » 28 Oct 2017, 01:10

Running dockered nzbget 20.0-testing-r2108 on Ubuntu 17.10 in a VM on FreeNAS 11.

When I connect to news.usenet.farm, I get a "unknown error" message. Nothing in the logs.

If I put in the wrong credentials, I get an authentication error.

Any idea what the problem could be or how I could further diagnose this?

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: "Unknown Error" when testing connection to usenet.farm?

Post by hugbug » 28 Oct 2017, 06:03

Connection test is tricky. Save server and try downloading. Does it work? Any errors in the log?

kloaknet

Post by kloaknet » 28 Oct 2017, 11:38

hugbug wrote:
28 Oct 2017, 06:03
Connection test is tricky. Save server and try downloading. Does it work? Any errors in the log?
Might it be better to test a connection requesting CAPABILITIES if the other option you use fails, that would mean atleast you can approach the server on the specified host and port. If the credentials are wrong, this can be seen in the logs? If I remember correctly I did try using the test option, but it failed, however manually asking for CAPABILITIES gave results back.

Clay

Post by Clay » 29 Oct 2017, 17:16

Looks like it works even though it fails.

Weird confusing error, but I guess if it works...

Rainmaker

Post by Rainmaker » 02 Nov 2017, 01:19

Clay wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 17:16
Looks like it works even though it fails.

Weird confusing error, but I guess if it works...
I came here to make a thread about this exact same issue. The connection test worked perfectly on v19.1 but since moving to 64 bit builds I get this 'Unknown error' when connection testing my Usenet.Farm block server. I use Tweaknews as primary and that still passes the connection test fine. Like you, I find real life downloads still connect to Usenet.Farm and download perfectly fine, it's just an issue with the test. I tried all of Farm's servers (news.usenet.farm / news.usenetfarm.eu etc) and several ports, as well as with and without SSL, but the issue exists in all configs. Strange.

sanderj

Post by sanderj » 02 Nov 2017, 08:34

FWIW:

With nzbget-20.0-testing-r2147 on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit (so 64-bit nzbget), I tested news.usenet.farm, and no problem with Test Connection. I have no account with news.usenet.farm, but I do get a correct message saying so ("Connection test failed"), not "Unknown Error"

I tried the same in a dockered Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit, with the same correct results.

So: I can NOT confirm.

Code: Select all

$ file nzbget
nzbget: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, stripped

Usenet.Farm

Post by Usenet.Farm » 10 Nov 2017, 14:12

The problem in nzbget-20 is that the test-connection button is requesting an article with a invalid message-id. Our server (Usenet.farm) ar showing a 501 error because of the invalid message-id like is written in the RFC. Some other providers just show a "430 Invalid message" and this is the reason that it is working with them.

I have created an issue to adres this problem on github https://github.com/nzbget/nzbget/issues/471

eartheater

Post by eartheater » 25 Feb 2018, 16:45

I'm having the same problem. I'm also completely new to NZBGet, I'm using SabNZBd for years now but wanted to try out NZBGet.

I was setting up my news servers and kept getting an error when I clicked 'Test Connection'. So after reading here that it didn't necessarily meant that downloading would fail as well I tried to download something. I was still getting an error.
When I change the port to a non SSL one, Test Connection as well as downloading worked. BUT obviously I want to use SSL, so are there (other) fixes for that?

Also, when I downloaded that 1 file it got opened in a DOS type box/window, but nothing appears in the web interface. Can maybe anyone tell me why that is?

Thank you in advance

edit: I'm using the 19.1 version btw

sanderj

Post by sanderj » 25 Feb 2018, 17:23

eartheater wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 16:45
When I change the port to a non SSL one, Test Connection as well as downloading worked. BUT obviously I want to use SSL, so are there (other) fixes for that?

edit: I'm using the 19.1 version btw
Which newsserver exactly?

eartheater

Post by eartheater » 25 Feb 2018, 17:40

Thanks for the quick reply sanderj, I'm currently using XSNews as my main server and Usenet.Farm as second server. But I found the (SSL) Encryption option further down the settings has to be switched to 'Yes' (obviously). But I missed that setting, because it's different from SabNZBd and in my opinion doesn't make much sense not to be right under 'Port' field. But it seems to work now! :)