Feature request: change automatic refresh based on activity.

Discuss newly added features or request new features.
jtgd

Feature request: change automatic refresh based on activity.

Post by jtgd » 17 Jun 2018, 07:23

I'd like to have it refresh every minute while idle, and every 0.5 seconds while downloading. I assume you'd add a config option for both of these times.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Feature request: change automatic refresh based on activity.

Post by hugbug » 17 Jun 2018, 08:07

There is no need for this. The refresh is highly optimized. The amount of data transferred when idle is very small and the web-application isn't doing much when there is nothing to update.

jtgd

Post by jtgd » 20 Jun 2018, 06:56

I wasn't concerned with the data (obviously all local) but running at 0.5 seconds results in 9 to 10% of the CPU. I am using surf as the browser. I like having the faster refresh while it's downloading, but it's pointless while it's idle.

jtgd

Post by jtgd » 20 Jun 2018, 07:35

Ok, I'll withdraw the request. A different browser behaved better. I'm surprised since surf is supposed to be so lightweight.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 20 Jun 2018, 07:45

jtgd wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 06:56
but it's pointless while it's idle.
The web-interface doesn't know if the daemon is idle or not. If web-interface will update once per minute it misses the moment when the daemon started to download. Consider the situation - you put new nzbs into incoming directory and open web-ui to see the progress. The web-ui sees that daemon is idle (while it hasn't detected the new nzb yet) and sets refresh interval to once per minute. Then you wonder why daemon doesn't start downloading (but it downloads already, you just don't see that in webui).

Such situations will happen often and will made the program appear unresponsive. That's not good.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 20 Jun 2018, 07:47

jtgd wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 07:35
Ok, I'll withdraw the request. A different browser behaved better. I'm surprised since surf is supposed to be so lightweight.
OK.