Possibility to avoid the "_UNPACK" folder when doing unpack during downloading

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
HenryCo

Possibility to avoid the "_UNPACK" folder when doing unpack during downloading

Post by HenryCo » 08 Jan 2019, 17:28

Is there a chance to avoid the "_UNPACK" folder when enabling the direct-unpackb (unpack while downloading) feature?

I really hope, because I want to stream from usenet. Everything is working fine, until nzbget is finished with extracting the video-file. Then the video-player is missing the video-file.

Greetings by HenryCo

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Re: Possibility to avoid the "_UNPACK" folder when doing unpack during downloading

Post by hugbug » 08 Jan 2019, 17:44

Nzbget needs to isolate files during extraction to correctly process only extracted files and to correctly handle unpack errors (cleanup).

But you can try other players. On Windows default media player worked fine in my tests whereas VLC didn't. On Linux a player based on gstreamer works fine too.

HenryCo

Re: Possibility to avoid the "_UNPACK" folder when doing unpack during downloading

Post by HenryCo » 08 Jan 2019, 19:01

oh really?

I thought nzbget create a new folder called "_UNPACK" and extract it withing this folder. When it is finished there is no "_UNPACK" anymore and the video file is moved to the place where the "_UNPACK" folder was.

Example while downloading:
sdcard/downloads/complete/***/_unpack/some-video-file.mkv
When the dl and unrar is finished:
sdcard/downloads/complete/***/some-video-file.mkv

How it possible then the player does not stop the playback, when the played media is moved to another directory?

Greetings by HenryCo

ByTheWay: I run nzbGet on AndroidTV 8, you send me the lastest testing-apk ;)

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 08 Jan 2019, 19:32

HenryCo wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 19:01
How it possible then the player does not stop the playback, when the played media is moved to another directory?
Because magic :P

Files are represented on disk by structures where name is just one of characteristics. After the file is opened by application it's name can be changed (if the app hasn't opened it in exclusive mode). As long as the player keeps the file open it can continue playback. Moving within volume is just renaming.

Player may detect renaming and may on purpose stop playback or maybe it doesn't keep file open all the time, although it would be strange since the data need to be read constantly.

Android may have its own quirks too.

Are there any alternative players you could try?

HenryCo

Post by HenryCo » 13 Jan 2019, 19:24

Wow, worked nice with kodi 18 on AndroidTV.

THX for the info with the magic.

Greetings by HenryCo