NZBget for Synology

Get help, report and discuss bugs.
Rrrr

Re: NZBget for Synology

Post by Rrrr » 04 Feb 2019, 14:10

@hugbug

Thank you. I redid the setup with that in mind. I believe the owner/group settings of the initial setup are extremely important. Though I am not yet 100% sure how this works.

Now I created the top NZBGET folder while under my user account before setting up the container.
I set the container PUID GUID also as my user/usergroup.

inspectah

Post by inspectah » 28 Mar 2019, 21:55

NZBget stopped working on my Synology NAS...again.

Installation according to al3x' guide:
https://forum.nzbget.net/viewtopic.php? ... 909#p19909

I just can´t reach the web UI anymore.
I rebooted the NAS, manually started the Run-Task, checked the USB drive with the NZBget installation... nothing.
As far as I can see in the process monitor, NZBget isn't even running.

I´m a total Linux/NAS noob, so I don´t even know where to start troubleshooting. :?

OmegaII

Post by OmegaII » 31 Mar 2019, 22:24

I'm sure it has been mentioned before. But unless you have a model that doesn't support it. Run NZBGet etc. in a docker, and save you some headaches :)

al3x

Post by al3x » 31 Mar 2019, 22:47

Probably the easiest method: Use the official SynoCommunity package. This basically installs almost the same way I described in my tutorial. You should be able to update to the latest version afterwards via NZBGet itself.

inspectah

Post by inspectah » 01 Apr 2019, 09:37

Thx al3x, I will try this method.

A couple of questions though:
1.) How do I completely remove the old installation (including the user if I don´t need him anymore)?
2.) Does HDD hibernation work with this method?

/Edit:
I installed via the linked package and restored my old config.
Now I have write permission errors.
Also NZB pushing (via FireFox Addon NZBDonkey doesn´t work anymore).

Sigh, why is this so complicated.

/Edit 2:
After setting permissions of group sc-download for sub-folders and files too, it is working again. :D

Question remains if I need to clean stuff from the previous installation (user NZBGET?) and if HDD hibernation works with the package?

al3x

Post by al3x » 02 Apr 2019, 01:31

Cleanup shouldn‘t be needed, the official package uses the same user and group afaik. You should delete the startup task though, the SynoCommunity package will handle the start/stop from now on.

I‘m not 100% sure about HDD hibernation. I personally use a symlink so the folder is still on my flash drive, you could change that if you want. But this has to be undone each time *BEFORE* installing a syno package update for NZBGet (this is important, updates will break the package if you forget this). So far there weren‘t any updates for 1 year, so this doesn‘t happen all too often.

Creating a symlink is not too complicated, basic linux knowledge is highly recommended though. Just stop the package via GUI, then login via SSH, move the folder /volume1/\@appstore/nzbget/ to your flash drive and create a symlink to the new destination. After that the error in the GUI should be gone and you can restart the package.

Commands needed (not tested, this is from memory as I‘m on my phone atm):

Code: Select all

sudo -i
cd /volume1/\@appstore
mv ./nzbget /volumeUSB1/usbshare/nzbget
ln -s /volumeUSB1/usbshare/nzbget nzbget
Undoing this symlink would require deleting the symlink and moving back the folder:

Code: Select all

sudo -i
cd /volume1/\@appstore
rm ./nzbget
mv /volumeUSB1/usbshare/nzbget ./nzbget
Please know what you‘re doing before using these commands, you‘re logged in as root and could probably crash your whole NAS if you delete or move wrong folders!

inspectah

Post by inspectah » 02 Apr 2019, 08:41

Thanks for your continuous support al3x! :)

I think I won´t do this for now, as I don´t really know what I´m doing. :oops:

But, I found this old post by hugbug:
https://forum.nzbget.net/viewtopic.php?t=2310#p15284

I don´t use the auto add functionality anyway, so I deactivated it and keep an eye on the NAS, if it will spin down. :)

al3x

Post by al3x » 02 Apr 2019, 16:59

You're welcome. ;) I try to help if possible, I know I had a few problems of my own to configure my NAS in the beginning so I know the struggle :D

Safihre

Post by Safihre » 19 Apr 2019, 06:41

Maybe the opening post of this thread can be edited to link to the SynoCommunity package for NZBGet instead? Or maybe even the NZBGet-wiki @hugbug?

I updated the SynoCommunity package more than a year ago to use the official installer and since then it seems this has worked very well, since there were no reported problems so far.

hugbug
Developer & Admin

Post by hugbug » 19 Apr 2019, 08:03

The official installer for Linux exists for four years and works flawlessly on Synology. The installer is linked on download page along with the installation manual.

There are alternative ways such as Synocommunity or multiple docker containers. I don't link to them because I don't maintain them and can't provide any support for them. In my experience the official installer is the least problematic option, which I always recommend when users have issues with other packages.